Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'51 reissue Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nil, Jan 14, 2002.

1. (the Japanese made reissue, slab body)

Anyone got one of these?
    Any comments on sound, playability, presence in a band, etc?
    What's a good price for a mint'un?

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have tried a Sting signature bass that is a '51 P reissue made in japan. that's a good P bass. i have played the bass alone and not in a band context. i have to sat that is a little brighter than a normal P bass, compared to my MIA P is was a good player. the bridge is not the highest modern piece but the bass i played was in tuning. the look of the bass is awesome and the sound is really good, i did not buy that bass only because i have good souning P bass. but i still like the idea to build one from parts, i prefer the butterschotch blonde finish.

3. Hi Nil, Just thought ya might like to know there's one on Ebay at the moment. I dont know of anyone who's got one locally.

4. There's one at the AK Rockshop at the moment...$1795 :eek: ...and I found the seller's ad in the T&E as well...

I really like the look of it, it plays really well, just trying to figure out whether it'd be a useful addition to my arsenal (my Ampeg lucite bass does a good Precision sound, but is a bit odd-feeling for live use).

I'm not the fondest of the P-sound in a band (no real bite), so was wondering whether the '51 has more bite (yah it does sound brighter but it's hard to tell when you're not in a group situation).