'51 reissue Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nil, Jan 14, 2002.

1. (the Japanese made reissue, slab body)

Anyone got one of these?
    Any comments on sound, playability, presence in a band, etc?
    What's a good price for a mint'un?
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i have tried a Sting signature bass that is a '51 P reissue made in japan. that's a good P bass. i have played the bass alone and not in a band context. i have to sat that is a little brighter than a normal P bass, compared to my MIA P is was a good player. the bridge is not the highest modern piece but the bass i played was in tuning. the look of the bass is awesome and the sound is really good, i did not buy that bass only because i have good souning P bass. but i still like the idea to build one from parts, i prefer the butterschotch blonde finish.
  3. Hi Nil, Just thought ya might like to know there's one on Ebay at the moment. I dont know of anyone who's got one locally.
  4. There's one at the AK Rockshop at the moment...$1795 :eek: ...and I found the seller's ad in the T&E as well...

I really like the look of it, it plays really well, just trying to figure out whether it'd be a useful addition to my arsenal (my Ampeg lucite bass does a good Precision sound, but is a bit odd-feeling for live use).

I'm not the fondest of the P-sound in a band (no real bite), so was wondering whether the '51 has more bite (yah it does sound brighter but it's hard to tell when you're not in a group situation).