1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'51 SC P w/ J bridge?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tedsalt, Dec 6, 2011.

1. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    Anyone try a '51 style single coil P with a single coil J bridge pickup? I've got a set of Nordy NJ4s, but am considering the Nordy '51 style P single coil.

Thoughts? Experiences?

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I tried the '51 SC in a bridge position on a '74 P bass - loved it!

That is until someone stole it. :bawl:

Now I play Japanese P/J's so I don't have to worry about taking an ultra valuable bass to gig.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    If I ever quit getting sidetracked, I want to do a Jazz bass with Aero Type 4A pickups (with a single magnet pole under each string). That would be pretty darn close to dual single coil P's, but in a nice, matched hum-canceling set with the spacing dialed in so the poles are centered under each string. Wired up with a series/parallel option, I think that could absolutely kill. :bassist:

I know Nash has done some builds like you describe (SCPB w/ a J bridge). Plenty of ways to skin a cat! ;)

I will never modify my ['51 style] Telecaster with the lone SCPB pickup because it already sounds absolutely perfect.

4. tedsalt

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
  5. tedsalt

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    I think I may end up going with a '51 P split coil and a split coil J bridge. Then I can solo either one. Versatility ...

6. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    One of the great things about a J-bass IMHO is that there are SO many pickup options. (I tried 4 different sets in my last one...)

I suspect to make a SCPB fit, you'll have to do some routing (unless it's one of those J bodies with the larger rectangular routs for the neck pickup).

Rather than do that, if you're going to be buying a pickup anyway, I wonder if Carey might be willing to make a custom quasi-SCPB in a J housing? If so, he could wind it to be compatible with the bridge pickup you already have and the two could hum-cancel each other.

Just a thought... have fun tinkering! (I always do!) :hyper:

7. tedsalt

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    Oh, I do! Thanks!!!