1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'51 Style P pickup & Jazz pu @the Bridge(?)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dregsfan, Mar 26, 2009.

1. dregsfan

dregsfan Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Texas
    Anyone ever have a '51 style P pickup in it's normal spot, with a jazz pickup in the bridge? or any thoughts about how it might sound. I'm not familiar with the tone of the old style single coil p pickup. I do know Nordstrand makes one, both single and hum-cancelling. Thanks. -John

2. Yodhan

Yodhan

Dec 10, 2007
    I have something a little similar. I put the 1/4 pounder version of that pickup in the neck position of my Jazz bass. I love it. It is the perfect blend of a P and a J. I have all the low-mid of a P and the higher growl of the Jazz. Ugly as sin, but I have a vintage looking jazz cover over the neck pickup anyway.

3. Joe.shaffer

Joe.shaffer

Nov 25, 2008
    Cabot, AR
    The single coil P pickup isn't a hard of a thump as the split design. So if you kept one of those at the neck and a J at the bridge, you'd have a PJ sound that leans a little more toward J sound.

4. dregsfan

Sep 13, 2006
    Texas
    Thanks guys. Yodhan, what made you think to try that combination? (I'm still trying to figure out what made me think of it.) I'm kinda suprised it fits under a jazz cover.

5. dregsfan

Sep 13, 2006
    Texas
    Anyone else use a "51 style P. pickup with a jazz in the bridge?

6. Yodhan

Yodhan

Dec 10, 2007
    Sorry on the delay on me getting back to you.

I was GAS'ing for a '51 RI and I couldn't afford it, so I decided to give it a whirl. It was not easy to fit under that pickguard. I kind of had to wedge it in there.