1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'52 Precision Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kharkfum, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Kharkfum

Kharkfum

Aug 21, 2013
    I don't know the seller or have any stake in the sale, but I saw this on Craigslist and was curious. I'm far from a Fender expert, but if this thing is real it seems somewhat underpriced from what I've read. Or isn't it? Or maybe it's not the real deal? I'd like to hear some opinions from people who know a little more than I do. http://albany.craigslist.org/msg/4563804854.html

2. Looks like it's been refinished. If so, I wouldn't consider it underpriced.

3. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    He took the neck off....all the magic fairy dust has been released....I'd pass!
    ;^>

4. fjb62

fjb62

Aug 27, 2010
    Almost looks like a new body with some vintage electronics and neck. Interesting he doesn't include a pic of the neck stamps.

5. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    I have seen these go for around the 10K mark in the last 6-12 months. Market value has dipped so yes they have gone for 15K+ but things change over the years.

Looks to have original compressed fiber bridge parts and correct capacitor/resistors in the controls. Pot date codes, I am not an expert with so someone may chime in.

Now to the big question of refinishing.....sure does look in decent shape. I have seen original paint on these types look as good. Seems to have the correct paint stick markings in the neck pocket also. Hard to really guage with the limited pics seller supplied.

If I had to guess I would say it was original. NOW if I was seriously considering this purchase I would need a lot more to go on before I handed over even $1. I would need to see it in person or at the very least, have it certified by a reputable group (say Gruhn Guitars). Good luck.