1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

53 Years Ago Today

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Feb 23, 2008.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

February 23 1945:

lflaga2.

Just in case anyone wanted to know.

2. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I think you mean 63 buddy. :ninja:

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    63 years ago today the American military staged the biggest photo-op in history, until....

[​IMG]

4. And 53 years ago people knew where the OP pic was taken.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    and a few years later they found out how it was staged! :)

6. P. Aaron

Latimour, your history is profoundly lacking. I expected nothing less from you other than glib frostings with all the sense of a waxing politician.

My math may have been off by ten years but a simple google of anything regarding the Rosenthal photograph, those Marines and how and why it all happened is so easy to find. I figured you could easily find out before posting such a revealing of your utter lack of class how wrong you are about this one.

But you typically dissapoint...again.

Below are your "posed" pictures...for the record.

http://www.iwojima.com/raising/lflagj.gif

http://www.iwojima.com/raising/l721flag.gif

7. P. Aaron

Read the reply to Latimour, and go study up yourself.

8. ...it was staged. They had planted a smaller flag earlier in the day. They came back later and planted the larger flag in which the epic picture was taken.

9. P. Aaron

Thank you for that one correction.

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Really? So it wasn't a photo of the second flag being raised that Rosenthal photographed which became the iconic photo? The second flag because they decided that the first flag raised, before the photographer got there, was too small and they wanted a larger one up on top of Iwo Jima.

The only thing lacking here is your maths..... ;)

11. P. Aaron

Right, on a commanders orders, but that 2nd flag raising photo wasn't staged like so many cynics here enjoy believing.

I posted link above to the "staged" pictures.

12. P. Aaron

You're saying the 2nd raising was a "posed" shot. It wasn't. I was at least able to admit my math being off.

13. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't see what is so fantastic about the photo anyway.

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    No, i'm saying the photo is of the staged second raising of the flag, which was staged because the first was too small. It wasn't the original raising of the flag on Iwo Jima that was photographed, but the staged second raising. Feel free to apologise for your petty comments, if you have the class to do so.

15. P. Aaron

The Marines were ordered to put a larger flag up, but that Rosenthal shot wasn't staged.

16. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    The actual pose they were in was not deliberately staged, as far as I can remember, but the situation itself was.

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Bingo it was a candid photo of a staged situation. Its a shame that so many people are unware that the photo does not represent the actual first raising of the flag, which occured quite a few hours earlier with a small flag.

18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Latimour is right on this one - the second flag is a staged shot. However, that doesn't negate it from being a great shot, nor does it negate the Marine's purpose in being there. Just because a shot is staged doesn't make it evil, nor does pointing out that it was staged make a person anti-American.

19. Perhaps this would clarify: the event might be considered to have been staged, because it was a repeat event. However, it took place under orders and was NOT performed for the reason of having a photo taken. Based on the fact that the event was not performed for the purpose of taking a publicity photo, I personally would not consider to to have been "staged". Others might...it's a matter of the connotation of the word to them.

The photo itself was NOT staged - it was taken live, the event was not performed for the photographer, and he had no control over it. He simply made a visual record of an event - and that record has become a historical icon.

The Bush photo, OTOH, contains a highly erroneous word...following "Mission".

20. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Is this 'staged'? Certainly a well planned photo-op. One can't help but notice the telepromter.... and that could have been taken out to make a better picture. I suppose that would have been 'staging'.... or perhaps the people who know Bush best just couldn't have imagined him without a telepromter.