Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

535C

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Bassist4Life, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Mike,

On your 535C you have a "Rose of the Mountain" top. How did you come to select that for the top of your bass?

The knobs you have are not typical MTD knobs. Did you request those special?

Also, do you have an extension key on your E string?

Just curious,
    Joe

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I wnet to Mike T wanting something very specific: Mahogany Body, Maple Top, Maple neck, ebony board - over the next hour of discussion and playing some "in-process" basses. I went as far away from that as possible to: ash body and neck, rose of the mountain top and maple board. It really came down to trusting Mike T's expertise both in knowing how I play, what sound I am looking for and what the wood combinations sound like. For the Rose of The mountain - I think mine was the first and we took a bit of a gamble. I think it has become one of his favorite woods. It walso makes a beautiful fretboard.

My 435 came with those knobs and I do prefer them over the more common ones (I think it has to do with availablity from Bartolini) seen on MTD's. I did request them specifically.

I do have an extender on my E string - for what I do, I just don't see the need. BTW I just won this on ebay and I am waiting for delivery.

Finally, I will be writing a lesson column for Bassics Magazine on the Art of Solo Bass. The first tune I am working on is Saint James Infirmary.

MIke

3. The first tune I am working on is Saint James Infirmary.

MIke[/QUOTE]

That tune is so cool! Have you ever heard/seen Lily Tomlin(yes!)do it on Saturday Night Live, in the 70's? Awesome! Cab Calloway also ripped it up, I think in the 30's.

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    That tune is so cool! Have you ever heard/seen Lily Tomlin(yes!)do it on Saturday Night Live, in the 70's? Awesome! Cab Calloway also ripped it up, I think in the 30's.[/QUOTE]

I would have loved to see lily tomlin do it. * bars of pure joy

Dimin

5. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm confused, do you have an extender on your E?

I think it's pretty cool that you went to Mike wanting one thing, and left wanting something completely different. It's a good thing you went into the process with an open mind. I'm sure you don't regret your decision.

I saw an image online of a 6 string version of your bass. I love how natural it looks. It gives me G.A.S. like you wouldn't believe! In the future I know I will have a MTD bass, but family comes first. I keep going back and forth between a 5 string with the high C (w/an extender on the E) and a 6 string.

I want to be able to do the chordal things and have the higher register, but I also want to have the lower register for gospel/dance/pop music applications. I guess I want an instrument that covers all the basses ;) Who knows what I'll actually end up getting...

Thanks,
    Joe

6. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Congrats! This is wonderful news Mike! I have a subscription to Bassics Magazine. Do you know which issue will kick off your lesson column? Do you think Bassics will include a track of yours on their CD? What a great way to get exposure for what you're doing for the bass world.

Joe

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    OOPS! I forgot the "not" as in I do "not" have an extender ...

Not one bit. The combination is amazing. My 5 is the most responsive bass that I have ever played. To be honest, I did not have that much of an open mind and I've always shied away from maple necke. I just didn't like the look or sound. But somewhere in the recesses of my mind a little voice said "trust him." I am quite glad that I did.

If it is the one at Rudy's, it is the sister to mine. Same batch, same piece of wood for the top. I played it when I was in NYCand it felt and sounded just like mine. In all honesty, I've never heard a B String that I like on any bass

ahh ... to have to make such a decision is really a luxory after all.

Peace
    Mike

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Unfortuntaely, Bassics print schedule is far from clockwork I am writng the article (or seriest thereof) as we speak. I believe they might put the lesson on an enhanced CD, so you will be able to see me playing it, up close. I think I'll do the video this week.

Mike

9. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I am looking forward to seeing the video on enhanced CD. I love Bassics; however, they're delivery schedule is far from clockwork also. For some reason, my issue keeps "getting lost in the mail". I'm still waiting for the current issue to arrive when Joe Smith Bassist bought it off the rack over a week ago. It's a little frustrating; but worth the wait; especially if you have a column in upcoming issues. Did Bassics give you a certain number of issues to do your column, or do they plan on making it a permanent fixture in Bassics?

Thanks,
    Joe

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I am not sure of their plan. I am sure, I can write a regular column if I want. This first one is pretty long and I have suggested that they might want to serialize it. I am doing the video shoot this week. The arrangement sounds very cool (even my wife said so)

Mike