1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

54 Precision - anyone else?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarkoYYZ, Oct 2, 2013.

1. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    So I'm perusing eBay tonight and nearly stopped breathing when I saw a 54 Precision available for auction, with a BIN of $2000 USD. Location was Brooklyn and the seller had several other vintage instruments available, all listed at the same time and expiring at the same time... looked like a collection was being liquidated - but my spidey senses were tingling.

Anyways... the listing said to contact them before bidding and provided an email. I contacted them and received 26 good quality photos of this bass and upon comparison with available info+pics online, I believed it to be genuine. I did a google image search to see if they looked like they were pulled from elsewhere and nada. No hits on tineye either. I asked further questions of the seller and got satisfactory answers - but my spidey senses were still tingling.

The seller offered a 30 day inspection period and a secure, insured transaction. Had 1600+ positive feedback reports, but none dealing in musical instruments. The guy said that he was handling the liquidation for someone, but the pictures of other instruments seemed to be taken at different locations - so despite all assurance - spidey senses still tingling.

I spent some time digging for any info to further verify the instrument and went back to the listing to see if any bidding had started and wouldn't you know - the listing was gone. So were all the other instruments from this particular seller. It seems now that a legit seller was hacked and someone tried to score some quick BIN now sales, and/or gain access to other eBay accounts by asking for additional info of the buyer. I contacted them from a different email and provided a different address - thank you spidey senses - so I haven't left myself exposed to having my account hacked, but wanted to share this story to see if anyone else had started down the path with this guy and also to warn others who may get caught up in something similar.

Also - keeping this thread on topic and suitable to be posted in the "basses" section - I believe I have received 26 good quality pictures of a legit 54 Precision. There is scant little info out there on them and photos are hard to find. What is out there does corroborate that this was a legitimate 54 P, albeit modified very slightly over the years.

These pictures could be very valuable to post on talkbass for future reference in terms of little known details about the bass, but I am unsure if I should be posting pics of a bass that don't belong to me. I need to ask the forum - mods specifically - if sharing these pictures would be appropriate or not. The pics can offer historical value to the forum to be sure, but I'd prefer to be given a green light to share them.

?

2. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    I guess I'll have to post a teaser to see if anyone is curious enough to see the rest? I feel like even with just these pictures that I have a piece of bass history to share, but not sure if I should... make sense?

Attached Files:

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Sounds like a typical ebay scam. Not sure exactly how it all goes down but they lift photos from a real auction or website , hack into a power sellers account, list the item but then say to contact them via email, do the deal with an outside account and then have your money. There's no ebay buyer protection if you do the deal outside of ebay, so there's little recourse.

4. SCAM!!!!

5. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    nice wood and metal shot... wouldn't mind seeing some more.

6. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    I picked up on the scam well enough, but through communicating with the guy, I did happen to receive what would be considered rare photos that I think others would like to get a closer look at. I guess I can just post the pics and then if someone complains I could pull them down?

Would be nice for a mod to chime in...

7. 66c2aa7cef148749da6fb79670dc2da4.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Post the photos, I am sure they would like to know their photos are being used to scam people. It is not like you won't take them down if somebody should ask. Do not post any serial numbers though, that is in bad taste and can be used to run further scams.

9. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    That would have been enough for me to keep looking. A '54 for 2 grand? But may as well post the pics, hno real harm there.

10. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    EXCELSIOR !!!!!!

11. I've been seeing this for a year and a half.
    Its always the same basses. Established accounts with lots of feedback. Thats the scary part.
    They never want you to bid, but to contact them via an email address they put in the listing(against Ebay rules).
    I've reported those listings dozens of times.

STAY AWAY!!!! :help::ninja::spit::eyebrow::rollno:

12. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I am always up for looking at detailed hi-res pictures of basses I can't see in person.

13. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    scam scam scam scam
    scam scam scam scam
    scam scam scam scam
    scam scam scam scam
    lovely scam
    wonderful scam
    lovely scam
    wonderful scam
    scam scam scam scam