55-01 or 55-02???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalbob, Jul 4, 2005.

1. metalbob

Aug 2, 2004
    so california
    other than the pups what is the real differance???? or am I missing something else other than the price differance can someone enlighten me on this :hyper:
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The pickups and preamp are the only different.

If you play metal, the 55-01 pickups may be better for you. They are brighter and more aggressive than the 55-02 electronics.

A lot of people like the 55-02s, but the electronics are too bland and polite for me. So I got a 55-01.
  3. Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I concur with embellisher. I just brought home my 55-01 and it definitely has the brightness and agressiveness he mentions. No noise either. It gets real fat and low too, and not sloppy.
  4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I liked the "oomph" I got with the Barts in the 02. Wish I still had that bass, nowadays.
  5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow, I'd never describe the elex in my 02 as polite and bland.

I wonder if there's any variance in these things? Maybe the gain was set too low in some? I was actually not that impressed with the 01 I tried, but maybe I should check them out again... not as a possible replacement (no friggin' way... I love my 02, it's tone and versatility), but maybe as a contrasting additional.
  6. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Iv noticed something coming on 4 to 5 months ... cant remember... The politeness or blandness (though I wouldnt use that word exactly)... seems to be growing a little bit. When I first got the 02 it was bright and aggressive... about what you say the 01 is around. Now the pickups were not as hot as some iv seen... but its no problem to up the gain a little. Ok back to my point.. Im wondering if its not infact the Lakland Steels that coulda been a tad bit older that caused you to get the idea of the blandness? These steels seem to lose there initial brightness pretty quick... but then again they do so with style:) I still have my steels on and enjoy the warm thump I get, and I can still get that twang if I dial it in. And I play in a metal band :eek: When... and If lol I change we can test the difference ... maybe a sound clip of the two is in order? eh? Ill see what I can do.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The 'polite' character that I refer to when talking about the 55-02 and 55-94 has been apparent in every Bart equipped example that I have ever played. I have played them with nickels, stainless, taperwound, flats, and nylon tapewounds. I know a lot of people who own either a 55-02 or 55-94, and have played a few with brand new stainless steel strings.

Just because I don't like the pickups doesn't mean that everybody should. They may work great for you. They don't for me.

I have played a couple of 44-02s and one 55-94 with the optional Duncan Basslines pickups. That 55-94 was a GAS inducing experience! It sounded almost exactly like a 2 band Stingray with the bridge pickup soloed. More like one than any Stingray 5 or Sterling that I have played.