Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

55-01 Tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by babyhuey, Oct 22, 2005.

1. babyhuey

babyhuey

Sep 16, 2005
    AR
    How close can a Lakland 55-01 get to a fender jazz tone, if at all?

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    In my limited experience with them, not too close at all.

3. babyhuey

babyhuey

Sep 16, 2005
    AR
    What would you compare them to, or how does it differ in tone?

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I would totally agree with that assesment!
    The 55-01 sounds nothing like a Fender Jazz, and to my ears sounds pretty modern in tone. It definetly has the bright thing going on in a good way. To be honest, I preferred the tone of the 55-01 to the 55-02 when comparring them when they first came out and then the same about a year later. They're a great bass at a great value.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The 55-01 has a much more aggressive tone than the 02, to my ears. Very modern sounding and in-your-face type of sound. Excellent slap tone. To me, the 02 was a bit more traditional sounding. Very versatile, but it didn't have the edge that the 01 had.

My local store has a couple of them in stock right now--both 01's and 02's. I am seriously considering picking up an 01. For the price, IMHO they can't be beat for sound and playability.

6. babyhuey

babyhuey

Sep 16, 2005
    AR
    hmm, I was hoping I could dial in a vintage tone as well have a good modern sound with the 55-01.

7. Here's my .02...I have both a 55-01 and a JO5, and they are definitely two DIFFERENT animals...as much as I WANT to like the JO5, I much prefer the tone I get with my 55-01...I've tried to get a Jazz Bass tone out of the 55-01, but it just won't do it...however, I've finally resigned myself to the fact that I might not be a Jazz tone type guy...so I'll probably sell the JO5... ;)

8. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Having played both, they are not even close.

9. babyhuey

babyhuey

Sep 16, 2005
    AR
    I appreciate the help everyone,
    from this I think i'm going to try and get my order switched from a 55-01 to a 55-02 =)

10. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    You might consider getting a DJ5 too, although I owned the 55-02 and liked it quite a bit.