55-02 and 55-01

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, Mar 24, 2005.

1. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Hey guys, I'm just wondering if I could find a used 55-02 for about the same price as a new 55-01? What is a decent price for a decent used 55-02?

Also on the 55-01 and 02, does it have a push/pull active/passive thing?

Are the 55-02 that much better then the 55-01? Enough to be worth that much?

Thanks for the input,
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The 55-01 has the active/passive push-pull. I am pretty sure the 55-02 does too.

I actually prefer the sound of the 55-01 to the stock 55-02. But the Duncan equipped 55-02 is killer. Too bad that option adds another $150 to the price.

FWIW, I am in the minority in preferring the 55-01. But the tone of the stock 55-02(and USA 55-94) is too bland and polite for me.
  3. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    So do you prefer duncans over bartolini's then?

Could you describe theyre sounds for me please?

4. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Yes... The 55-02 is well worth the money ... the Bart pickups, were exactly what I wanted and I couldnt be happier. Hey I opted for the 55-02D:) Can see a pic in my profile. And yes it has the Passive active pull knob. The main thing is that the 55-02 has the same electronics as the US version 55-94. Used you could find one between 700-900 or so ... Depending on if its a Deluxe Finish or not. Sadly for a used buyer they hold pretty high resale from what Iv seen. Someone might could explain more.

Yea Iv heard to that the SD have a bit more bite... but I love my warm Barts, plenty of bite for me.
  5. embellisher

The stock Barts in the 55-02 sound like a Jazz bass neck pickup and a slightly beefy Jazz bridge pickup in humbucker mode, and a slightly thin Jazz bridge pickup in singlecoil mode.

The optional Duncan Basslines pickup sound like a Jazz bass neck pickup(althought a tad brighter) and a Musicman Stingray bridge pickup in humbucker mode, and pretty darned close to a Jazz bridge pickup in single coil mode.

The Duncans offer what I would want in a Lakland. The bass looks like a cross between a Stingray and a Jazz, and with the Duncans, it sounds like it too.

Even Dan Lakin said that if you want the Stingray sound, you need to get the optional Duncan pickups.

I am not a big fan of most Bartolini pickups. Most of them sound too dark and polite to me. The notable exceptions are the brightest wound aftermarket Barts, the Korean MK-1s, and whatever Barts my Zon Sonus Custom has.
  6. embellisher

I hear you on the 'D'. My 55-01 has the quilt top too.:cool:

7. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Are you sure they offer 55-02's wtih seymours?cant find that anywhere on the site... :confused:
  8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'm not sure if they're still offering that option or not. You should contact the dude over at the dudepit about that -- if anyone would know, he would. You could get a Dark Star pickup, though. :p
  9. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I just want to say I got a chance to play a 55-02 yesterday. This is going to be my next bass, I might be driving back down to Richmond on monday to grab it :).
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm in the same Minority. I really like the sound of the 55-01. I had a nice Black/maple that I regret selling so I I just bought this one off of the Pit:
  11. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Bass drum,

I used to own a 55-94 Deluxe with barts (similar to the 55-02), and currently own a 55-01. I pretty much agree with all of the previous posts on the tonality of the basses and pick ups, especially Embellisher's comments. One thing that I would add, in case your are a Jazz Bass aficionado, is that you will not be able to get that signature tone that Fender Jazz Bass single coil pick ups are known for. Since I'm a Jazz Bass fan, I tried every conceivable combination of pick up selection - close but no cigar as the saying goes. But then, Dan didn't design his 55-series basses to be a clone of the Jazz Bass. I believe that he aimed for his own "tone" which was a blend of the Fender and Musicman basses, while at the same time being an exact copy of neither bass.

That said, I'd like to say that Lakland basses are great instruments, and tone is a very personal thing. A Bart equipped Lakland will sound great to one player, while another player will prefer the SD equipped Lakland. Your bet bet is to try them out if at all possible. You can decide for yourself as to which bass suits your playing style and personal preference.
  12. embellisher

They have never been listed on the site.

Contact Dude like Bartman said. He can hook you up.

Most of the guys I know with the Duncans bought the 55-02, and then did a swap by contacting Lakland. I don't know what the going price is today, but in the past, Dan Lakin stated that if you sent him the Bart electronics and $150, that he would send you the Basslines setup.

Of course, if you have a USA 55-94 built, you can specify the Basslines option when you order it.