Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

55-02 and 55-94 Laklands

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cassanova, Oct 15, 2002.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Whats the differences in the two? I read that the 02 has the same pickups and preamp systym as the 55-94, but other than that I dont know what the major differences are. (Other than quality)

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The 55-94 has graphite reinforcements in the neck, the 55-02 does not. And of course, the 94 is MIA, the 02 is MIK.

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    the us also has a quarter sawed neck and a thicker top on the deluxes.

4. They got most of it right - but being the local Lakland evangelist maybe I can shed a little light on the subject:
    Code:
           55-94                                     55-02

Hipshot Ultralite tuners                  Less expensive Hipshots

Quartersawn rock maple neck               Flatsawn maple neck

Birdseye maple fingerboard                Plain maple fingerboard

Graphite inserts in neck                  No graphite

Sunburst models burst on both sides       Sunburst on face only

Thicker cap on Deluxe models              Thinner cap

No separate battery compartment           Separate battery compartment
    I believe fit and finish on the US models is a fair bit better - but if you plugged them in and blindfolded me I don't think I could tell the difference between a US model and a Korean model.

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Now for the "feel." My 55-94 is extremely well made with an impeccable finish and a beautiful birdseye maple neck. I played the 55-02 and it felt just like a MIM Jazz compared to a MIA Jazz. I think the graphite reinforcement gives the 55-94 a very solid feel. I doubt seriously there are significant sound differences between the two. All this is my opinion and subject to personal preference, etc. DISCLAIMER ;).

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    My 55-94 by the way.:)

[​IMG]

7. 5502 = ECONOMY Model
    5594 = LUXURY Model

The materials and workmanship on the US models are as good as they can be. The materials and workmanship on the Korean models are as good and they need to be. jmho.

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

ohhhmmmmygoooosh! would you stop that? I am going to get a 55-02 soon, and if you keep flashing pics of that 55-94, then I am going to have some marital issues because I will spend a hell of a lot more than the wifey agreed too!

P@

:D

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I am experienced in marital issues springing up from bass buying if you need advice!:)

10. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

I will remember that for when I screw up next! I have been buttering her up for two new basses, depending on me selling two basses, so I am in the clear that way..... But you will be the first I talk to if the situation changes.... thanks! :D

P@

BTW, that would be post numero 1000 for me!

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    thats what i was especially curious to know about, was the tonal differences of the two different basses. You're not the only one who's told me that a difference cant really be heard that well in the tones.....much appriciated.

12. I spent about an hour playing a US model in Pittsburg about a month ago. I recieved my 5502 last week. I can't really say that the 2 basses sound identical. I can say that my 5502 plays everybit as easy and I think I like the B string better on my 5502 than on the 5594 I played. For some reason the 5594 I played in PA seemed much louder than the other strings. My 5502 is much better controlled. It think it was just that particular bass. Like most have said, if you want the feel and sound of a Lakland, the Korean ones have it.

13. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Bass Central has great deals on Laklands right now - no commercial interest, just a VERY satisfied customer!

14. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Bass Central has great deals on Laklands right now - no commercial interest, just a VERY satisfied customer!

Dan K.

15. Sunburst models burst on both sides Sunburst on face only

I believe this difference only applies to the 55-02 deluxe basses in sunburst. I'm pretty sure (I'll double-check with the Dude tomorrow) the front-only bursts only apply to the deluxe models with the quilted tops, the regular all-ash basses I think are bursted front and back. The 4s are.

mike
    dude's roadie

16. The 55- series isn't (at least not that I remember). I spent a couple hours at the factory a few weeks ago.

Anyway, let's see what Steve says. I've been wrong lotsa times before :)

17. Doh! Completely forgot to check on this today, and I won't be back to work 'till Monday. But, here's an auction for a CSB 55-01, bursted front and back. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=910726708
    That matches what I've seen, which I'll grant is a relatively small number: the deluxes aren't bursted on the back, the standards are, at leat some of the time. Again, I could quite easily be wrong.

mike
    dude's roadie

18. Hmmm - I stand corrected, ohiobob.

Thanks for setting me straight - I've been putting out bad information on the sunburst Skylines :(

19. Well, I'm not sure if the whole run was done like this, or maybe just the pre or post cloverleafs were bursted front-only, I'm no expert. Maybe it's a 55-01 vs 55-02 thing? I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure the bursted 55-02s we sold were front and back, but I can't swear to it, just the 55-01s. In any case, they are great basses, and for the $ quite hard to beat. I played a 44-02 last week that actually is making me re-think my opinion of bartolini pickups!

mike
    dude's roadie

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My wife's 55-01 Deluxe is sunburst only on the front.

That is strange. I wonder why the Deluxe's are that way, but the Standards are sunburst on both sides?