55-02 pickguard - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sjoakes, Nov 3, 2003.

1. sjoakes

Nov 25, 2002
    saint paul, mn
    Alright, lemme know what you think as I try to decide whether to put screw holes in my bass or not...

...if you're curious, got the pickguard from Lakland, $20.
  2. sjoakes

Nov 25, 2002
    saint paul, mn
    ...crap, I thought I had the image thing figured out...looked good in the preview. I'll attach...
  3. sjoakes

Nov 25, 2002
    saint paul, mn
  4. should do a poll. i say no. original looks better.
  5. I honestly don't know which looks better.

It's in a 50/50 in my eyes. But then again, it is your bass. So enjoy.:bassist:
  6. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Well, if you like it thats all that matters... But I am a Lakland Person... That said, I want to Vomit on your Face.
  7. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
  8. With a pickguard. We all know that plastic is more beautiful than the natural grain of swamp ash.

9. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Bruce Wayne------ Batman

I vote for Bruce Wayne:rolleyes:
  10. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Do not even THINK of putting a guard over that wood!!! It would be INSANE to do that, a waste of a beautiful piece of wood. You should be bludgeoned if you put screw holes in that bass!!! BLUDGEONED WITH THE BASS ITSELF!!!

IMO of course :D
  11. I actually sort of dig that pick guard. Makes the bass more interesting.
  12. I agree!

I also am posting them so we can look at them side by side! Hope you don't mind!

13. with the pickgaurd
    without a doubt
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How mature.:rolleyes:
  15. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I like the guard :D I have the same bass but I have a tortoise shell guard.
  16. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    I dont like the pick guard that much... But I dont really like the natural finish that much either (Sorry) IMO the natural finish looks to 'bright' I like Darker wood.
  17. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've never liked pickguards. If you don't need it (i.e. to guard your beautiful wood finish from your chainsaw pick hand), I'd say go without. Natural wood finish is way sexier than black plastic. But everyone who says that you should go with your own preference is right.
  18. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I personally like to have a pickguard as it decreases the space under the strings. Having played mainly Fenders and similar for so long, I mainly find this useful for slap-style playing -- conversely, when a guard is NOT there, my fingers tend to go a little further under the strings than I like. I can and do adjust, but prefer not to have to think about it at all.

But... from a pure visual aesthetic standpoint, I'd just as soon leave the guard off.
  19. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I like the pickguard.