Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

55-02/thumb bo 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kalle74, Apr 26, 2005.

1. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    I have a Lakland 55-02 and I´m quite happy with it, but I´ve been offered a Warwick Thumb BO 5 Broadneck (2003?, ovangkol body and neck) in trade...

I like a bass with crisp treble and a THICK bottom... But I hate the honky, all-mid Precision-sound...

How do these basses compare sound- and construction-wise?

Potential neck diving problems? Differences in tone? Wood instability (I live in Finland, which is very climate-riddled, so this one is especially important to me...)?

Anyone? Soundclips, possibly?

2. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I don't think the Warwick is for you. It is a totally different animal. There will be neck dive. It will be very heavy in mid-range honk. It has a crisp high end but not nearly as bright as the Lakland. Only trade if you're looking for a totally different sound and feel.

3. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Man, talk about chalk and cheese, the Warwick is the most midrangey honkey bass available, the neck(s) couldnt be more different. Try b4 you buy especially in a live situation if you can.
    I think the expression "if it aint broke dont fix it" could apply here.
    Good luck

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Keep the Lakland.

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Keep your 55-02. Great bass.

I never liked Warwicks.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Good advice.

The Thumb is infamous for neck dive. It also has a thicker profile than the Lakland.

The Thumb tone cuts through the mix like almost nothing else, and is great for playing along with distorted guitars. But it has a very prominent midrange bark, and is lacking the sharp highs that the Lakland can get.

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    +1

From what you've said about what you DON'T want, I'd say you probably would hate the Warwick.

8. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    Thanks everyone. I think you´ve answered my question. I´m keeping the Lakland, which at closer inspection (15min ago) seems to have a one-piece body... nice bonus, as I´ve never noticed this before...

So, now I´ll only need a 55-02 fretless. Black with Seymour Duncans and an ebony fingerboard, thank you very much... :bassist:

Maybe I´ll share an odd story later about a Warwick I took for a test drive