55-02 vs. 55-94

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i just wanted to know from some of you guys that own the americans, how do they compare to the skylines? i think i have descided to go with warmoth so your not hurting my feelings... LET US HAVE IT!:)
  2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I own a 55-94 and have played a pair of 55-01's. Not the comparison you were looking for, however, the 55-01's both had necks that felt very similar to my bass and the fretwork was outstanding for a bass in this price range. The 55-02 should sound very close to the 55-94.

I think the Skylines are superb basses for the money. The preamp in the 55-01 could be improved and I do not like the small Gotoh style tuners that are on the Skyline 55 basses. Elephant ear tuners would look right to me.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What Chuck said.

I have a 55-94 and 55-01, playability on the 55-01 is up to Lakland standards. Fingerstyle sounds very good, popping leans towards harsh IMO. Excellent bass.
  4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i have had extensive exposure to both- i really would be surprised if someone blindfolded could tell the difference- the 55-02 and the 55-94, that is.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Adrian - If you're still paying attention to this thread, (my bad; have a lot of summer festival gig details going on), I'd appreciate it if you could offer your view on something;

- From your experience as a dealer, doesn't the similarity of the the 55-02 Skyline and the 55-94 suggest that Dan is making more $$$$ off of the Skylines???
    Or, do you think 55-94 sales had pretty much reached their potential and the 55-02 was a way to reinvigorate sales of a line that had "matured" in terms of sales???

From my few communications with Dan, he seems to be an astute businessman and I would be very surprised to hear he is cannibalizing (as the Marketing geniuses say), the sales of his older, existing, 55-94 line.....more products to support, no incremental profit.

From comments like yours, it seems they aren't two basses targeted at two different markets. I would think if a person is hip to a 55-94, they're also aware of the 55-02's similarities which save quite a bit of money.

BTW, I saw a post on TBL by a pro who already owned the 55-94, visited Lakin's shop while he was in Chicago for a gig, and he said exactly what you say about a 55-94 vs. 55-02 comparison.

Interestingly, he said he found the 55-02 just "different" enough from his 55-94 to keep both in his stable, (albeit, he didn't mention string differences).
  6. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    not many laklands here in nebraska..

however, im interested in what others have to say. post away!
  7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm no Lakland aficionado, but I think I would shop around for a nice used 55-94 before I bought a new 55-02.