Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

55-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just picked up a 55-02 from a fellow TBer yesterday for a very reasonable price. So far I'm very pleased but I will have to take it in for a set up because the action is much too low in first position. I thought it might have been the strings, but I think it probably needs a set up.

It is interesting going from a Peavey Millennium Plus to a 55-02. The Peavey had a thinner, faster neck and had narrower string spacing. The B strings on both basses are about even since both are well made 35" basses. What shocked me was the difference in sound. The Peavey is versatile, but the 55-02's coil splitter makes a big difference. This bass can almost completely nail a Jazz bass sound. I had played 55-94s before and I loved them, but I had not noticed how close it could get to the J before. The big Bartolini humbucker is nice. I know it cannot compare to a SR5 in terms of power, but the pickup is versatile. It sounds great soloed in all three switch positions.

Overall, this bass has a really nice Fender kind of vibe. Of course it is well put together. The output of the preamp is awesome. This bass can generate a ton of booty.

It is funny that once I find that I am going to Basscentral in a couple of months, I keep running into great deals. Although I have to get this bass setup, I think I'll really enjoy it once I get it dialed in. I have no predictions on how long I will keep it. I have been through so many basses lately, I feel goofy claiming any bass is "the one." That said, the 55-02 is pretty much at the limit of my budget, and I have wanted one for about two years. That said, I do still miss my old SR5 and I could be happy with a nice budget five like a MTD Kingston.

2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's funny in that the last three basses I had: a Stingray 5, Fender Precision Deluxe V, and Peavey Millennium Plus V are so close in quality that I could have easily kept any of them. That said, I'm glad I got the 55-02 because that Lakland image of 55-94s and 55-02s would have never left me. As great as that Peavey was, I know I would have always wanted the 55-02. GAS is not logical, but when you have it, sometimes it makes sense to give into to it if the price is right.
    I'm not saying I won't be lusting after some other bass or combo amp in the future, I just know it's nice when you get exactly what you've been wanting.

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    No time like the present to learn a little about setting a bass up ;) If there is too little relief, stick a 5/32" allen wrench in that little hole at the base of the neck, and move it no more than 1/4 turn to the left if you're looking at the front of the bass. Righty tighty (less relief) Lefty loosey (more relief).

Fret the bass at the 1st and last fret on the low string and see what the gap looks like at the 12th fret. Should be about a pick's thickness (how thick of a pick depends on your personal preference).

When you buy a bass from another part of the country, it will almost always need a little truss rod tweak when it arrives due to differences in the climate.

Laklands rock!

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Pickles, thanks for the info. I may adjust it myself. I have the wrenches I need to do it, and it wouldn't hurt to hold onto some extra cash since it is Christmas time. ;)