55-94 prototype on eBay...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by allan grossman, Dec 24, 2002.

1. This is 55-94 number two.

I'm not selling it, but someday it may have some historical value. My credit cards won't take the strain :(

The seller is Hugh McFarland (the "land" in Lakland).

Notice the bass is 34" scale as really early 55-94s were. Output jack and control knobs are different from production models.

Contrary to what Mr. McFarland says, I believe this one was built for the July 1994 NAMM show - 55-94s were in production in 1995. The first prototype went to NAMM in '94 - I don't imagine they showed up with just one bass.

Dan Lakin's comments - I emailed him about the bass and asked him if he wanted to snag it:

> Thanks, very interesting. Everything looks in order. I gave him that
    > bass when he left Lakland. We did trade necks as he said. As cool as
    > it is to have history around, it is not the time for us to be
    > sentimental. Seriously though, the bass in question is a great bass
    > however I feel that our current production is better. As long as I am
    > in charge that will be the case.
    > Dan
  2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
  3. Thanks, JP - I fixed the one in my post.

That's what I get for copying from one board to another :D
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Looks like a really nice bass. My favotite part is:

"...and an slight imprint from the neck plate used before we "borrowed" Roger Sadowsky's beveled washer idea.":D :D
  5. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    wow... that could be pretty cool to have something like that. it'll probably be very cool for whoever else gets it. Hey Nino, sounds like you got the infinite limit on the credit card, why don't you grab that for me for christmas? :D

6. I remember that bass. It was sitting around the Lakland shop when I started working with Hugh and Dan.

It's a 34" scale. Notice the 6 neck screws, instead of the 5 that we ended up going with.

I was in the Lakland shop yesterday to say hi, and talked to Carl about that bass and what's coming up. They have a couple of new products in the works. I'm not at liberty to discuss them without Dan getting mad at me.
  7. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    then why mention it? you know the masses will want to be informed...

8. Yup. I'd like to snag it but it's a damn lousy time of year for me to buy another bass. I'm gonna have to pass on this one :(