1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'55 P on ebay - beautiful grain

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GlennW, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Too Cool!! Gotta love the crackling nitro on the neck and fretboard. Thats half a bass boat so I'm going to pass it up :meh:

2. + 1 :D

3. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I don't usually like sunburst, but that is just beautiful! I'd buy it if I had it :bassist:

Is any one else surprised that it's on $15k? I really thought it would be at least $20k. I hope the vintage market is finally getting reasonable :meh:

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    OK, nice bass, if a little on the pricey side.

Anyone have any comments on these thoughts:

The bare wire pickup windings and the too square nut do not look original to me.

The pickup bobin seems to be coated with something clear. I have never seen that on a '55 before.

The neck finish, especially on the headstock, bothers me--something weird about it (more later).

The checking on the body of the bass is interesting, but I wonder why the checking on the neck looks so over-sprayed. It is just the wrong color, IMHO.

It might be just too much (shoe?) polish, but the brown-orange color in the finish cracks is also showing on the headstock edges. Strange, IMHO.

The chrome hardware is still very very well plated, which might be OK, but an awful lot of the chrome on mine has oxidized away, especially on the bridge, control plate, and knobs (only one of my knobs is original).

Just wondering and asking for comments...
    I have had mine since '73. That's 35 years. :bag:

5. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    It was on the market about a year ago for about the same price. :ninja:

6. Every time I see a bass like that I think its fake...even more so when they ask an insane price.

7. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    I understand, but I doubt this is a fake. I just wonder if the seller really knows how "original" everything is or isn't....not that it actually matters.

It's just that the very high price is probably predicated on the "original" quality of the instrument. :cool:

8. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    some things look a little funny to me as well.. There is an awful lot of wear on the lower register D and G but barely none on the E and A and lower frets where most of your playing would be..

The one neck screw looks original the other 3 dont match

The chrome I agree is just way to shiny to be from the same bass..

Its a sweet bass but I would need some better documentation on whats real and whats been replaced..

I fine example of old school mojo though..

9. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    This bass has been on ebay a number of times this last year...

10. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    I agree about the neck screws, but oddly enough, this could just because of screws coming from different lots with slightly different plating or formulation. Still seems odd.

The wear on the upper fret FB is just plain strange. Also, the frets in that area do not look anymore worn than the rest of the neck.

My '55 has the original nitro on the neck and just about zero checking.
    The neck finish on mine is way darker, too, and it is not the wood, it is the lacquer. :ninja:

11. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Yeah even under the tuners there is no discoloration which for something as worn it should be..

Its a sweetheart of a bass but something just seems not fake, I dont want to use that word, maybe redone sometime in its life that the seller isnt aware of.. Generally the maple necks from back then didnt check nearly anyway near as much as that one.. And if the neck is so check the body should be just as much if not more. Also under the pickguard generally and I will use that word loosely there isnt checking.

12. treromantic

treromantic

Nov 1, 2005
    ottawa, on
    definitely a modded & reliced squier vm tele ;):D

13. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Could it be a refin with heavy "freon checking?" Might account for the finish under the PG being unchecked, though I must admit finishes under pickguards usually are somewhat protected from sun and sweat. :D :D :D.

14. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    nah its not unnatural in my eyes.. Just not natural from the original finish. Somethings just odd about it..

In general terms most necks wont check that heavy and usually its more on the headstock than anything.

I think somewhere down the road it might have had some sort of restoring. This is just my opinion not fact.. I am not saying it has or it was just to me some things just look odd.

15. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    I hear ya...Doesn't the lacquer on the neck look TOO clear?

16. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    A weird thought...maybe the wear on the upper frets is relicing of a refin, but imitating old guitars (like a Strat or something)???

17. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    LOL!!! :p

19. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    well the wear down there can come from a couple things..

A.) Someone did alot of soloing on two strings.

B.) Crappy setup and someone slapped alot causing those strings to bounce off the board but that would generally show wear at the end of the maple board not the physical fretboard.. So this is WAYYY out there.

C.) it was put there. They are very close to identical marks across the area of wear which is what threw up the red flag to me.. In the lower register the wear is uneven and natural looking.

Something is odd about this one, again its not fake.. But its not 100% original in my eyes.. Something has been done to this down the road.. And im sure the original seller is just going off what they know..

Its 53 years old. So who knows what happened when and where. Only the original owners do..