1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

57 2-Tone Sunburst P - fasten your diaper, gents

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonebrulee, Oct 23, 2010.

1. thats a really nice vintage p, but i dont think its worth 16 thousand imo

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Maybe. If it weren't for that big scratch.

3. Yeah, I don't actually know any of the specifics around pricing for remarkable vintage instruments. Just meant, like, if i could ever consider spending cash like that, here's something so beautiful it would totally feel worth it.

4. Sorry - I dont get the whole $$ on vintage . . . personally I wouldn't want someone else's mojo - but that's me

nice bass though . . . still much rather have 16 new basses for that scratch

5. yea i know what you mean. If i had the money i would definitely buy a vintage bass

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I'm thinking thats one of the RIs. I saw a 53 once and it had the single screw thumbrest

7. What's that got to do with a 57?

8. mas502arc

mas502arc

May 14, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    But you have to agree, that IS one nice bass :)

9. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I thought they didnt change that until the body change?

10. I can't testify to that, but I wouldn't discount it as an actual 57 based on the number of screws in the thumbrest. If someone is selling a 57 reissue P bass for 16000 though, they should be beaten with it.

11. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    The book "The Fender Bass An Illustrated History" says the thumbrest was changed to plastic and used 2 screws in early 1957.

12. Ahh-so. That seems to settle that.

13. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    '57 is also when the new body, headstock and pickup occurred, AFAIK. This must be an early '57 bass (assuming it's legit).

14. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Based on my limited experience I would agree with this but would be more inclined to think it was a '56. Either way, it is one sweet looking bass. :bassist:

15. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    +1 I can see paying a couple grand for that, maybe $4000 at most, but the vintage market is horribly overpriced these days.

16. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    My problem is I want to buy a bass to play it. So I can't/won't pay a collectors price. IMO instruments were meant to be played. Most violinists I have met will play their very expensive vintage (puts a whole deeper meaning to the term than we electric bass players can) violins, as they were meant to be played and to create beautiful music with. Just sayin....

17. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    There's two random holes in the back!!!!

18. CME is incredible! If you have a chance to stop by when in Chicago, you can check any of their vintage instruments out. Even the 20-30K ones.

19. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    You guys that think this is overpriced are viewing this through the lens of "OMG that's an expensive bass". The bottom line is that this is no longer just a bass.

The item you see is a 50+ year old piece of Americana. Its an antique, a collector's item, a vintage piece of electronics, etcetera. It long ago ceased to be a "bass" anymore and can no longer be priced as a "bass". This is now a vintage/antique collector's item and its priced accordingly.

Anyone really think that James Coburn’s 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder is just a $10+ million USD overpriced car? This bass is no different. If you have something like this, hang on to it...