Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'57 Fender Precision RI vs. Original 57'?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tommy Hellfingers, Jul 27, 2000.

1. Tommy Hellfingers

Tommy Hellfingers

Jun 27, 2000
    Hi Y'all!

I was wondering if anyone owns or has fooled around with the '57 P-Bass RI and how it sounds in general and compared with an original '57.

Thanks,

TH

2. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I used to own a 1957 american reisue years back. I didnt think the one that I owned was all that great for the money. I have played on a real 57 years ago when i first started and didnt think my reisue was as good. On the other hand, my friend had a japanese squire series from the early eighties that was a 1957 reisue and i thought it was better than the real 57. If you can find one of these older squires they are alot better than the american reisues and in my opinion the best bass value out there.

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The '57 RI is a real nice bass ... but it'll never sound like a nearly 50 year old bass (at least not for 50 years or so).

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Praise be.

5. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I own a Fender 57RI squier series made in japan in 82, the JV serie.

The electronics look a lot older than it should be. The wire aren't covered of plastic as now but they are shield with material.

I've record with this bass last month my basslines in studio with a mesa m 2000 tube channel on a 15' Fender Eminence. I'll try to post a mp3 clip as soon as possible. Please note i have no mp3 from my work today.

It has a good low end, very very warm with the tone knob cut off and my favoryte are good crispy mids.

I've never played the US Ri or the original 57 but i'm very pleased of mine.

6. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    If your lucky enough to have an old squire vintage dont ever let go of it. I bought one of the first squire 62 jazz reisues and it was great, later like a fool i sold it and later got an american reisue 57 p bass and also a 62 american jazz reisue. The p wasnt bad but the jazz was horrible with a rubber neck on it. I looked years to find another old squire jazz reisue and finnally got my hands on another. it turned out to be as good as the first one I owned and in my opininion is the best fender i have ever played. I used to also own a real 1962 precision that i had to sell in a divorce settlement. I will always be happy with the squire. Let your hands and ears judge your bass, not ego.

7. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I knew what I purchased, i got it for 300 € which here is the price for a new chineese squier. I knew they were the best fender made in japan, better than standard US.

I will never let it go. It makes my sound.

8. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Can't agree more ....... I love my JV Squier 57.:hyper:

9. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Great story :)
    (if you'd looked for a Squier, in stead of a Squire, it might not have taken years :bag::D)