1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

57 hootenanny button

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afiaowo, Oct 8, 2013.

1. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
    The link is to a book on Google Books.

On page 23 the author says that the hootenanny button eventually became an option on the 57 P.

Was the button not on the original release of the 57 P?

Thanks!

http://tinyurl.com/mh8vrno

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    They certainly were common by 1960. My '55 does not have one.
    All the '68s, '69s, and '70s, I've had were fully hootenanny compliant! :hyper:

3. Added in 1960...shouldn't be on the '57 reissue.

4. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks guys.

5. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I never knew that was what it was called either... and I still don't know what it's there for. :confused:

6. It's a just a strap button for those who like to play their bass in a more upright position (more popular back then).

7. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I've never seen one in action. Anyone got pics?

8. WoodyJ

WoodyJ

Jul 29, 2008
    Smyrna, GA
    My 11/57 #023xxx does not have one.

9. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    I always thought it was a spare, you know, like some shirts will have a spare button on the inside just in case you lose one...

Not really.... it is daft though.

10. It's all known as a neck dive cure, but nobody knows that judging by the number of neck dive threads on TB. :D

11. Kevin aka Kebo

Kevin aka Kebo Commercial User

Nov 17, 2011
    Princeton NJ
    Owner - Kebo's Bass Works
    its nothing more than a place to hang your strap when its on a stand so it doesnt hit the floor..

12. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    That makes a hell of a lot more sense :D

13. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I agree with the others, the hootenanny button appeared sometime in 1960. I've never seen a vintage 1950s Fender with the button.

Fender confused a lot of folks into thinking it was standard back then because they have always (mistakenly) installed it on the AVRI '57.. What else is new - Fender making period-incorrect mistakes on their own reissues, lol. They even made a few mistakes on the new AVRI line (like late '70s Schaller tuners on the '74 AVRI Jazz).

14. If Skip had a strapbutton on the back of the headstock, he would have used it... But he didn't, so he just tied the strap around the tuners:

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Let Woody help you. Just get on the NY Subway at Union Square...

woodyguthriesubway.

16. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I can't picture what you're saying.

17. Yup...and on the 62 RI Jazz...the stack knobs were actually gone by mid 1961....however I've read that Fender never intended to replicate those basses exactly but to offer reasonable facsimiles in the spirit of the originals...but us Fender bass geeks want it to be perfect.:)

18. Has a bass player ever used a hootenanny button for a strap pin? Maybe that could be the difference maker in getting hired. I can hear it now, "Get me that hootenanny guy/ girl, I liked the cut of their jib."
    I'd be worried it would cause the neck to warp.

19. Not according to photos I've seen from the early '60s.
    Back then straps came with a length of "shoelace" so you could tie it to the headstock of an acoustic guitar. .
    Many bassists in the early days of electric instruments were guitarists who switched, and they were used to playing with a strap attached to the headstock of an acoustic.
    Leo or Freddy Tavares or someone else at Fender noticed (or listened to complaints) and provided a more secure alternative to an amateur's unsafe knot-tying skills.
    A Fender bass was far too heavy to trust a shoelace.

I clearly recall Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys using the headstock button, among others.

When I got my '62 Precision in 1975, I was so surprised by the "hootenanny button" that I did a little research--asking older players about it and digging through every adult's record collection I could get access to.

One trip to the LP section at Half Price Books will set you straight.