Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

57 or 62 - Which Fender Precision RI?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by markorbit, Nov 8, 2005.

1. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    Anyone know how these basses would differ tonally? There are 2 major differences that I can see - the 57 has a maple neck whilst the 62 has rosewood. The pups are different though how different I don't know.

Anyone care to comment... which one would you go for and why...

I'm looking to order one of these babies next week but I doubt if I'll have opportunity to A/B.

2. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I've played them both, I prefer the 57. The neck is faster IMO, its profile is closer to a jazz, at least the one I played. The 63's are a little too thick for me and I play a 6 string warwick! :)

3. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    OOps, I mean the 62.. :bag: Gary Moore brought in an assortment of basses for me to try, and They were 62's and 63's. I didn't care for them. ;)

4. I'd go with the '57 in white blonde.

5. The 62 is thicker but that is like the P BASS thing, if you want a faster neck get a Jazz

6. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Me too! Oh, I did :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

I love this bass. I'd love to add a '62 RI one day as well, but I wouldn't part with my '57.

7. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    the 57 also can have an ash body if you get the white blonde, the 62 is strictly alder

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I've owned both.
    Other than the different fingerboard wood.
    Both basses are the same.
    On the rosewood fingerboard, I prefered flats.
    The maple, roundwounds.

9. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I had been using TI Flats on my '57 since I got it (about a year ago), but recently threw a set of Fender Nickel rounds on it. I have to say, I think I prefer the rounds as well... although the flats sound wonderful too, just different.

10. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I've usually found the necks on the 57RIs to be chunkier (thicker front-to-back) than the necks on the 62RIs.
    Also, while the 62RIs normally have Alder bodies, there have been some made with Ash (like the 'Mary Kay': Ash Body, blonde finish, & gold hardware).

Edit: Sorry...the 'Mary Kay' I mentioned was a Jazz, don't know if they made any Precisions like that.

11. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I've had both, and they're both wonderful. I sold the 57, even though it was a beautiful Lake Placid blue. I just wasn't taking it to gigs as much as the 62.

Really, though, you're talking about wooden instruments, among which there will be differences. Perhaps my 62 is exceptionally good, or the 57 didn't quite have the mojo.

Impossible to pick one model across the board IMO without trying a truckload of them.

12. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Both are cool, but the '57 really connected with me the one time I played one in a shop. It had a fat, classic, P-bass tone but with great clarity.

BTW, the '62 all that different from the MIA American Standard, which is much less expensive.

13. Damn thaty '57 is sweet.. I wonder how much the wife wants to spend for Christmas?

14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003

15. Go to Ishibashi and get a PB57-80US and get it in vintage white. Its not the blond that the US manufactures but for $700 you can get whats in that picture. Thats with shipping too. The bodie is alder.

16. I agree on that one!

17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Can you pass along a link to their website?

Thanks,
    - Art

18. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    The USA 57 RI has an ash body.

19. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Both are very cool - but I prefer rosewood and the smaller neck on the '62. I had a '57 RI for a while and it just about broke my hand in half after a while. The neck is a real tree trunk. Just depends upon your preference.