1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

57 P bass build from parts or buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ariff, Apr 20, 2018.

1. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    So we are in the process of starting an INXS tribute band and we are going for the really authentic look. And it appears Garry Gary Beers plays mostly a 57 P Bass on the 91 Wembley Live Baby Live show (which is the concert we will model our show after) Of course I am always on a budget as I suspect most of us are. I have a few pieces needed for the build like neck plate, CTS 250K pots, 60's Squire CV pickups or SD quarter pounders, Jack, strap locks.. Ya know little stuff.. If you were in my shoes would you try sourcing parts from a place like Guitar Parts, Bodies, Necks, Pickups, Fender, Gibson and more | The STRATosphere which has just about everything for around 450 or buy a RI or used one which are going from anywhere from 650-900-ish.. Just looking for opinions and stuff I may have over looked.. Where would the best bang for the buck be? Thanks

gEAiCjwRW0tApkXp6jPWnMyBdPUSnVd5l1zRvFulT1b845hF2TUCiUCO7FjDJTpt4tayrpQ89ho=w328-h229-no.jpg

2. mdogs

mdogs Suspended Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    At one time, Gruhn Guitars was selling some of his basses, not sure if any are left. Probably out of your price range, but if you are going to do a tribute band, best to do it right!!

But seriously, I would get a Fender Roadworn in the burst finish, problem solved.

3. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    Yeah these recommendations are s bit on the expensive side. Hope to maybe find a used one. I have heard good things about the crafted in Japan 57s from the 90s..

4. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Buy something that is built, affordable, and that plays well for you
    Too many crap shoots with parts basses IMO
    If factories with CNC machines and good QC can't always get them right, I say mixing a bunch of different brand parts is going to lead to big sloppy tolerances

Pilgrim likes this.
  5. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    I was thinking of getting official licensed fender parts.. which are made in Mexico parts. Might have better luck with them fitting together better that way?

6. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    To be honest..... i can't recall ever playing a bad bass that was made in Japan from the 80's or later.

7. crlujan

crlujan

Jul 26, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    I pieced together a 62/70 from mostly Fender Japan parts thru places like Stratosphere. Lollar pickups. Some parts from eBay. That’s the way I’d go.

ariff likes this.
  8. maplenecked

maplenecked

Dec 1, 2017
    Honolulu
    Support the great MIM classics line and get a new one, they’re fantastic instruments

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    For 99.9999932% of the people who are watching you, as long as you get a sunburst precision with a maple neck and a correct color pickguard, no one will know (or care). MIM is fine.

lfmn16 and 12BitSlab like this.
  10. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    There' a 50s classic mim for $550 in the classifieds. Ticks all the boxes

11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Used MIM roadworn Fender

12. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    You could just get yourself a used 3 color sunburst w/maple neck American Standard P and replace the pickguard with a gold anodized aluminum one and be done with it. It probably wouldn't cost any more than amassing parts from the Stratosphere, would have a better resale value and would be a lot less trouble all the way around. I see basses like the above for sale on TalkBass, Craigslist, Reverb and eBay all the time.

BTW ... INXS tribute band ... very cool. Love those guys.

ariff likes this.
  13. maplenecked

maplenecked

Dec 1, 2017
    Honolulu

That’s a good idea, some like the 1.65” nut better than 1.75 too. I’m trying to figure out about these though, I’ve heard recently the newer pickups are ceramic instead of alnico

14. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    Do you have a link.. I am not seeing it for some reason.. thanks

15. nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
  16. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    Awesome thanks for the link I would have never seen that one. I have sent a pm. This would be perfect and in my price range

17. nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Sweet, best of luck!

18. nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Good luck finding a 13 hole gold anodized guard.

19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    If I wanted to get parts that fit together well, the name that comes to mind isn't Fender. Especially body/neck joints. Warmoth does that well day in day out.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021