57 P Reissue pickgaurd question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by byrdsfan, May 29, 2004.

1. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    My lead guitarist pal loves my new 57 P reissue but had to ruin his assessment by saying he didnt like the pickguard. This is a maroonish red (not sure what they call it) bass with an iodinized pickguard.
    Did the 57s have this kind of guard?
    It does look modern but I figure they would not mess up something that obvious. Heck it has a strap button on the headstock! (he noticed that too).
    He suggested black, white or tortoise shell. And now he has me thinking, not too hard, but it is a consideration. Would this need a 57 RI guard? not that i would do it, but ....
  2. very early "modern" P's had alu-gold andonized 'plates.

if you were to change, it wouldn't be at all hard, with some plates you would maybe need to drill some new holes, and make sure it did actually line up/fit properly! :)
  3. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Your guitar pal is wack! The gold anodized pickguard is one of the best parts of the '57 P-bass look. :scowl:
  4. i agree, i personally think it looks very shnazzy, however i tihnk i *may*.. not sure! it hink id maybe prefere a purple tortoise shell-plate..

awh hell.. ill buy 2 when im famous... :rolleyes: :ninja: ;)
  5. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    Where could i get a purple torstoise shell that would fit this and not have to drill new holes? Does any one place have everything?
  6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The aluminum anodized pickguard you have is the right one for the '57. The goofy thing is, the screw pattern on those is different than any style P bass afterward...those 57-58 style guards had less screws holding them on. So whatever pickguard you want to replace it with, you're gonna have to drill holes.

Personally, I'd leave the original on. It's what makes the late 50's P unique.
  7. Make a template using your guard and include the location of the holes. There are lots of places that will make a guard for you like Warmoth, etc. That having been said, I like the anodized pickguards on the '57 reissues.
  8. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    It's not that unique as the current deluxes sold by Guitar center uses them. but i think the moment has passed . maybe i'll photoshop one just to check it out.