Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'57 Precision reissue....impressions anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Aug 4, 2005.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I'm considering one of these and would like to get some opinions. There are none in my local shop to try (Suprise, Suprise from GC!)

2. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I had a beautiful one, USA-made in the 90s, Lake Placid blue. Very nice bass. I sold it because I didn't use it much, for two reasons: a) My 62 RI had a little more mojo, and b) it was too pretty to risk dinging.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I would love to have one too, and I tried one a couple of months ago. I'm not crazy about the 1.75" nut width, but it still felt good. More importanty, it was very resonant and "woody" -- even just played acoustically. No question in my mind it would have been killer through an amp, because that acoustic resonance translates into serious punch IME.

4. if you liked the 73' p-bass, you should like it. They sound great. I don't really like the really wide neck though..

5. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Wider than the '73?

6. side to side it is, I can't remember if it is front to back. I had trouble playing it

7. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Ok, that screws it for me. I couldn't deal with a wider width than the '73. Thanks :meh:

8. 1.75" is only 1/8th of an inch wider than the 1 5/8" nut width of a Stingray. It is a wide neck across the nut, but thin from fingerboard to back.

I played a 57 that looked exactly like this picture about a year ago, and it sounded so good. http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0190115801

I hope you can find one to try.

I feel they're worth the money.

Mike ;)

9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I played one in a shop and came thiiiiiiiis close to buying it :D One of the best Fenders I've played, with a very clear tone. I loved the wide/shallow neck.

10. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    I have a 2004 57 RI P' in black. It's my favorite bass. I like it so much I'm selling my other basses because they sound like crap compared to the P. Persoanly I love the neck width, I hate (most) Jazz's, they feel like toys to me. The weight is good to, mine is 9.5lb.

A word of warning though, the reason you don't see them in any shops is because they're prepetually backordered. I origianly order mine form the House of Guitars in Rochester NY. while on vacation there. I originaly ordered it in SB and I was told it would take a week. When it didn't show, I called and the guy contacted Fender and was told it would be another month. A month went by and ntohing, made the same call and got the same answer and a big apology from the HOG guy. Finnaly, after another month, I called again, this time he kept me on the line and called Fender right then. This time he was told another 3 or 4 months. I asked if Fender had any in stock, he found out they had black 57's and white 62's, so I changed my order to black. I kinda wish I'd waited and gotten the SB, but my black one (now named "Thor") is great.

So if you want a black '57 or a white '62 you shoud be OK, if you want any of the other collors, be prepaired to wait (except maybe from Musicians Fried or one of the other online Walmart like shops, yuck!).

~Paul :)