1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

57' RI vs standard precision pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by markoSirec, Mar 21, 2009.

1. markoSirec

markoSirec

Mar 1, 2009
    hi guys,

i've been following the boards for a long time and i finally registered. glad to be here! now to the point - i was wondering if anybody could help me:

i recently bought an american fender precision 57' RI made in 1996. the owner installed standard fender P-bass pickups (USA) and he also gave me the original 57' pickups, if i wanted to change back.

my question: what is the difference between the two? (soundwise)

which one is brighter, growlier? is there any difference at all, or are they very similar? which one cuts better through the mix and which one sits better?

i intend to install the pickups that won't make it into the precision into an epiphone non-reverse thunderbird (aka. wierdbird) made in Italy (yep, they even made them in italy, with schaler tuners pre-installed - great live bass). the j pickup would be a seymour duncan SJB-3.

thx in advance for the help!

2. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    I'd put the RI pickup into the RI bass, but that's just me. I like to think that they'd compliment each other better than most aftermarket pickups.

Welcome to the boards, BTW. :)

3. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    After playing about 30 different P basses and A/Bing them all for a weekend, the 57 RI kept calling me back because of it's sound, feel, finish, and look. I thought the whole raised pole piece under the A was sorta kitsch, so I just lowered that side of the pup to make things even and because it could get in the way if I really dug in with low action.

I bought the 57 because, stock, it sounded better than everything from the mexicans to the american standards to the 3,500 custom shop Ps that I tried. Personally, I wouldn't change the pup if ya paid me too.

matt

4. markoSirec

markoSirec

Mar 1, 2009
    thx for the input guys. i will probably install the stock pickups and see where it takes me! ;-)

this bass is just phenomenal. kudos to fender...