Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'57 Vintage Precision reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Apr 3, 2005.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Anybody own one? I'd like to know the scoop on this bass. I'm considering a 2004 model in trade for my Jazz deluxe qmt. Since it's supposed to be built to the same specs, parts and materials, is it comparable in tone to the genuine article?

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I own a few.
    The best years are 1982-85.
    These were first run, made in Cal.
    86-89 were made in japan, assembled in US.
    90-present USA.
    If you can find a early 80's model, you got a nice bass.

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1. I've never played one of the newer US-made Re-issues, but I had an early 80's model; It was possibly the best P-Bass I've personally owned.

- Art

4. Gullix

Gullix

Apr 3, 2005
    Norway
    I've played a '82 model for 20 years. The neck and body parts are great. These basses can take as much beating as you can give them. You need to tune the bass approximately once a year. So yes, I consider myself a happy customer.
    Don't know much about the later models, haven't played any of them.

5. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I too own an '82 -- great bass.

6. I've played the reissie of the '57. And I must say, I loved it. Action was good, no fretbuzz, of course Vintage Pick-ups (noiseless). The finish was top notch, though, I didn't like the butter scotch pick-guard. Tone was great, an awesome bintage P sound. Great bass.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I bought a '57 RI back in '99. I liked it a lot: nice tone and playability. I also loved the look... I guess it was the Mary Kay finish: trans white over ash, gold anodized guard. Maple neck had a nice amber hue to it. I switched to five-string the next year, so I traded the '57 RI for an RB5.