1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

57 year old wanna B

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by onthe1, Jan 8, 2012.

1. onthe1

onthe1

Sep 28, 2011
    i just started to attempt to try and learn bass guitar,should have done this 30 years ago,but with raising a family and everything i earned went into raising a family it just was not possible.Now children are grown and gone,i am retired,got some decent beginner equipment.I WANT TO GET IT ON,been getting my ear training on,and going up and down the neck to get accustomed with it and can play a few bass lines.i started 3 months ago and try to practice every day..got the blisters to prove it..they are trying to callous over now.I will try to learn a little music and theory pretty soon.I am not trying to make bass playing a career because i am to old for that now,i would just like to one day get with a slapping drummer,and funky lead guitar and play the hell out of that bass guitar...57 and still want to funk:D:D

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Started at 50.
    In a band at 55.
    Same band at 60.

Don't wait 5 years.

3. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    Find somebody to jam with and get going. I started late, took some lessons, practiced a lot, and started making real progress as soon as Istarted playing with other people. I got in a band that played an Am. Legion hall to a small crowd. We weren't that good, but we got better as we went, and so did I. Have fun and let us hear how you are coming alog.

4. ducknturtle

ducknturtle

Dec 28, 2006
    New Jersey
    keep going you inspire all of us.

5. Go for it man! Nothing to loose.

6. Took up music when I retired at 65. Play in two bands now at 76. All you need are some fundamentals and the desire to play. For most of us it's a hobby, some money every once in awhile, but mostly it's for the fun of being with other musicians.

So take some lessons, read some books, watch some videos and connect with other musicians. They will not come looking for you - you have to go looking for them. Church is a good place to start. Watch the praise band at rehearsal, make yourself useful.

Jamming on the week-end at a friend's house. Now that is fun. Most jamming circles are by invitation, however, it does not take a lot of pull to be invited in. See what you can find in your area.

Have fun.

7. WannaJazz

WannaJazz Supporting Member

May 7, 2010
    Are you playing steel strings?

Switch to a set of nickel round wound strings.

Your fingertips will thank you.

8. photogdude

photogdude ustonsucs Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, Tx
    thanks for the post, you've just inspired me when i needed it

9. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Good for you!! Retired and fulfilling a desire to play bass!! Too cool!

I'm 58 and even though I've been playing for quite a while I find I've really been wanting to "learn" differant things.

Keep at it!

10. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Bought my first bass in 8th grade, could not get a handle on it and gave up after 12th grade. Last Feb at 48 bought my second bass and have learned more in less than a year than ever thanks to this site and the internet (thank you Al Gore)

11. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Me too, 57, and played in public a little in the 70's. Loaned a P Bass bought in 71, and 50 watt Bassman, (dark brown tolex), to someone, and the building burned down. Never got a dime back, and time to get a real job, so that was the end of that for 35 years. The bass was at least 5 years old when I got it, and I kept it in the condition as when I aquired it. Would probably be worth a few bucks. I ordered an American Deluxe P bass that I bet will be a much better instrument than I had, regardless of what it might sell for. Anyway, good luck on another long strange trip man!

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey man, have fun with it! Sounds like you'll do quite fine.

13. +1 , atleast until your fingers get some thick skin.

I love Pro Steels and use them religiously but after a decade of playing I have no feeling in my fingertips anymore. You will get some calicuses of course and your fingers might even bleed (mine never did). I went on deployment and didn't touch an instrument for 7 months, came back, played the bass and still didnt' feel a thing. If you want a bright, poppy tone though your going to need those steels :)

14. Twospot

Twospot

Jan 1, 2012
    Toms River,NJ
    Wow this is great! Here I am just getting started at age 39 and I was worried I was too old! Good luck, I wish you all the best!!!

15. GreatScott91

GreatScott91

Apr 14, 2010
    NE OH
    onthe1 - welcome and good luck! I just turned 39 and started about 1.5 years ago and I love it! Never realized how much it meant before but honestly, listen to what others are saying - find some other folks to play with and start jamming. I caught up with a couple guys not long ago and we jam for fun about 2-3 times a month. I cannot tell you the difference it has made! Have fun!!

16. Jeff Huber

Jeff Huber

Oct 15, 2010
    Me too, but I didn't. The best thing I ever did was quit listening to that little voice that told me it was too late to start now. Just go for it, man. You won't regret it.

I can't imagine how much emptier my life would be if I had never picked up the bass. I simply can't imagine it.

Jeff

17. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I'm with you and glad to see that there are so many other wannabes. I'm a 48 year old who has owned basses and gear for 10 years. I'm reluctant to call myself a player as I have little talent or aptitude for music and have never played with a band! I enjoy bass anyway and hope to jam with my 16 year old guitar crazy nephew and perhaps find some not too serious guys that want to actually put together a half arsed band. My brother in law and I joked that our life time goal was to sound good in the guitar store. ;) Last week I was trying out a bass in a jam packed store with zero privacy and somebody actually said that I sounded good so I bought the bass (it did sound good).

18. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    And once they callous over, you reached a new peak.

Steel strings/ nickel plated steel strings = same thing.
    nickel plate just last longer. Cheap strings tear your fingers up.
    Most cheapos are plated.

anyhoo even just playing one note, work on being consistent
    with your note passages. from light,med to heavy attack.

Learn basic minor, major and pentatonic scales.
    and learn to groove with those scales.

otherwise knowing where all the notes are on the neck helps alot when jamming. you just simple ask the guitar what key he is in.
    And instantly you should know 3 different places you can find that same note.

takes time sooner the better

19. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    Another late starter here...54y.o., although I played music most of my life, studying and playing trumpet, I always wanted to play bass, so last year I grabbed a new Squier at GC and a used combo practice amp and away we go....I play with a guitar buddy a few times a month, we use a Korg Pandora as a drummer, hell, we even have a name for our "band" ....Rumble , stolen from the Link Wray song (which was our first cover. :bassist: )

Keep at it man.. it only gets better.

20. 77jazzbass

77jazzbass Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Late 50's is not too old for a career as a bassist. If you see yourself in your head being a bad ass bassplayer, you can become it. Since you're already excited about it, you are half-way there. You'd be surprised how much progress you can make in one year, by practicing the right things every day. Even 30-minutes a day concentrated effort can propel you light years ahead!