1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD '58 Fender P/J (Parts) Bass Relic - Vintage Hybrid

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by The Bass Clef, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Strings:
    58pj1_zpseca7f227.

'58 Fender P/J (Parts) Bass Relic - Vintage Hybrid

My latest creation.. I built this bass from a mix of vintage and modern (aged) parts. A while back I had the idea of doing a relic 1958-style P/J Bass (3-tone Sunburst/maple neck/gold pickguard). So I started collecting parts that looked period correct for a '58 (the 1st year 3-tone burst appeared).. well, period correct except for the Jazz P/U of course!.. and I used a few parts I had squirreled away, and viola!

The Specs:
    • Vintage 1969 Fender Precision Body w/ Original Sunburst Finish
    • Vintage 1975 Fender Precision P/U (see the pics of the P/U codes and body markings in the full album link below)
    • '75 American Vintage Jazz Bass (Bridge) P/U
    • Fender Road Worn '50s Maple P Neck w/ (Factory Relic) Tuners, String Tree & Neck Plate
    • Fender Roadworn Anodized Gold Aluminum Pickguard (w/ mod for 3-Way switch)
    • Ben Lindsay (Madison's) Relic Threaded Bridge
    • Relic Fender '57 RI Knobs
    • CTS 250K Solid-Shaft Pots, "Orange Drop" Capacitor
    • Genuine Fender 3-Way Telecaster P/U Switch
    • Knobs function like a normal Precision Bass: Master Vol./Master Tone
    • 3-way P/U switch is: P Only/Both/Jazz Only
    • Weighs 8.8 lbs.
    Even though the body is a 1969, the faded burst, finish checking (which is all over it) and player's wear just had all the right mojo and look to it, so it fit the bill perfectly for this '58 build. When I got the body, it was already routed for a Jazz P/U (in the perfect spot too), as well as a Darkstar or similar humbucker under the pickguard (which could still be added if you like). And it already had a route for a knob/switch right under the tugbar, so I decided to go Tele-style and do a 3-way P/U switch.. simple and sweet.

I've had this 1975 Precision P/U in a few basses over the years, and this one just hits really hard for a passive P/U (like a lot of mid-'70s Ps do). The P/Us don't phase each other out when running them both on either (because I switched the leads on the J P/U), and they each sound great on their own too. I'd describe the P/U switching as.. warm and thumpy/smooth and jazzy/mean and growly.

The neck is very straight, truss rod works good, and it plays beautifully. I set it up with TI flats and VERY low action, with no dead notes and no issues of any kind. The neck pocket is very snug, no gaps, and everything just fits together really nicely on this bass as a whole. I wasn't sure how the Road Worn neck would work with the vintage USA body, but it was a perfect fit! I'm very happy with how the bass turned out and I guarantee whoever buys it will be too!

Will ship in a new Fender gig bag and will be packed very securely. Definitely a unique vintage-hybrid that is Custom Shop quality for a lot less $$.. and with vintage parts and real wear!

CLICK HERE FOR ALL THE PICS! (12)

$1350
    $1295 OBO Shipped (USA)
    Paypal, Bank Wire and USPS Money Orders Accepted.
    *I also take deposits and ship international, message me for details.

I'd also be interested in trading for a 34" scale hollowbody bass.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  2. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    That looks like a great bass. I've got a 57 reissue and love it, would love to have a jazz bridge pick up.

The price is a bit steep for me as I'm in the middle of some home remodeling with an unknown budget.

Good luck!

The Bass Clef likes this.
  3. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Thanks! And I'm open to offers!

4. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    oh man, nice bass. unfortunately i'm in the sell mode too...

5. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    Damn, this bass looks great!

6. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    This must sound great with a 75 P pickup!!!!

7. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    ^ yeah i imagine so, the pickup in my '77 p is awesome and the lollar that i got sounds very similar to that. punchy and grindy as well as even...

if that avri i have sells it'll be quite tough for me not to turn right around and buy this bass...

8. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Yes, that's why I chose to put this particular 1975 P/U in this bass.. Sure, it would have been easier and cheaper to find a '62 RI P/U, or a Seymour Duncan Antiquity, but everyone uses those. Don't get me wrong, both those P/Us sound fantastic (and I have basses with both those types of P/Us installed and I love them), but I wanted this one to sound "special".. and it does. It's friggin HUGE sounding, and it's one of those basses that just fills up all the space around the band like a big pillow when you run the P P/U alone. I believe that's in part because in the mid '70s Fender used the same dark, plain enamel windings that they used in the early '60s P basses, and IMO, it does't get any better than this for a P Bass sound!

I also chose to wire this bass with a 3-way switch as opposed to a VVT like a Jazz, because I truly believe the P P/U retains much more of its signature "P" sound much more than when you "load up" the pots in a VVT setup on a P/J bass. Most P/Js IMO just seem to really lose something from the P P/U with VVT controls, even when you are only running the P P/U.. but this one still sounds like a P Bass should when you run the P alone.

9. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Bump for pice drop!

10. Jesus, it's like you read my mind and made my dream bass. Wish I could swing this right now!

11. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Sale pending..

12. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Sold!

Thread Status: