'59 P Bass - what replacement pups to use?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jazz5757, May 11, 2004.

1. I'm lucky enough to have two '59 p basses, one all-original and another that is a "parts" bass of sorts, I'm currently having the body refinned. Anyway, I'm strongly leaning to either Fralin's or Duncan Antiquity's based on their purported vintage sound and the additional benefit of their appearance.
    Are these pretty much the same or, if different, how so? Any other recommendations here? Thanks!

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Lindy Fralin pickups are exact(or at least darn close) copies of the original Fender pickups. You would do well to purchase them. I assume you don't have the original vintage pickup in this case.
  3. Actually, the Fender Original 62 (or whatever they're calling them these days) is a great pickup, too.
  4. Ok---now we've got 1 for the Duncans, 1 for the Fralins and 1 for the Fender '62 pups----all probably good choices but I've still got to choose just one option, and yes, the original pickups are long-gone :bawl:
  5. Count me in for the Fralins. Nothing better for vintage tone.
  6. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    Get Lindy Fralins. They really are very close to the vintage pick-ups! In any case, they sound good in Fender style basses.
    Don't get the Duncans, IMHO.
  7. Fred - thanks! I'm leaning towards the Fralins right now. I still have about two weeks before the refin will be complete on my p bass body - it's a '69 body that I'm having refinned in Sherwood Green - I'll then attach my '59 p neck to it- can't wait!
  8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Nordstrand NP4. Haven't heard the other ones, but I have the NP4 and I love it! I think you might too!

If not that, then I would say Fralins, as I hear they are better than just about anything for vintage tone.

But check out a Nordstrand too. :hyper:
  9. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    The Lakland Bob Glaub models sport Fralins and they sound like the cat's meow.
  10. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I say get Aeros they are the best pups in the world :hyper:
  11. Still leaning towards the Fralin's....didn't know Lakland was using them, that's a good sign, but I am intrigued by the other suggestions...I admittedly know zilch about the Nordstrands and the Aero's ----- can anyone summarize how these compare to the traditional tones produced by the Antiquity/Fralin type pickups?
  12. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Contact Jay Lewis at www.blueberryhillbass.com

He's a really nice guy who knows about the different pickups you're considering. He'll take all the time in the world to answer any questions you may have.
    Give him a shout-you'll be glad you did!

Good luck to ya' :hyper:
  13. Thanks Beefbass ----- I'm going to give Jay a call and see what he has to say, I'm pretty open here about my options...
  14. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    You'll get a lot out of that IMHO. Jay is a really nice guy, who will take all the time necessary to answer your questions.

He is a high end instrument dealer. Even though i was only buying a set of pickups, he treated me like I was buying a $4500.00 Nordstrand custom built bass! That sold me more than anything-right under all the techical info I got.

Great pickups. Only Carey,and one other guy hand craft those. No mass production.

BTW, Carey Nordstrand is registered at Talkbass. Every once in a while, he pops in (he did when I first inquired about a Nordstrand Pbass pickup)

You will not regret calling Jay. Let us know how it turns out! :hyper: