5er EUB's and arco

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Si-bob, Dec 22, 2002.

1. this question is specifically for 5er EUB players
    (please no flames about playing a real 4 upright, no time :) )

for those who do play 5 EUB (bruce) how do u find arco? is it a lot harder then on a 4 ? or simply a matter of getting used to?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't have a bow and have never tried it - I really don't like bowed solos in Jazz and it doesn't realy interest me.
  3. who said anything about solo's???

take barenaked ladies, a lot of their songs have some really nice arco lines!

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - that's what put me off attempting to bow. I have seen/heard quite a few Jazz DBers playing bowed solos and it invariably sounds horrible when they play through an amp - very scratchy and noisy. While of course the acoustic tones I've heard, sound from reasonably good to very good - e.g. Berlin Philharmonic!! ;)

This is the only stuation in which I have heard anybody play arco upright through an amp and as it always sounds so horrible, I just thought it wouldn't be worth bothering with, on an instrument that can only be played through an amp.
  5. i dunno, Jim Creeggan of BNL and Tony Levin both play their NS-5's arco, and they sound fine

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    My Azola bows fine. I recently overdubbed some bass stuff on some S.F. string quartet things (I needed the low B string), and it's pretty hard to tell that it ain't the real thing. As Bruce says, any amplified bowing is going to be inferior to the section work of the Berlin Philharmonic (it's hard to beat the sound of wood actually moving some air), but it's gotten a lot better with the new pickup and amp technology.
  7. Bass_Cadet

Bass_Cadet Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I have a five string Carruther's SUB-1 with a high C. In comparison to my (four string) double bass, I'd say it's a little tougher to play arco because of the narrower string spacing but mostly just a matter of getting used to it. It's easier to play the EUB because of the lower action and amplification, but it can't beat the sound and feel of the "real upright". I use German bows and Thomastik Spirocores on both basses.

Rob Wasserman plays an NS 6 string EUB on his _Trios_ and _Space Island_ albums. He does some arco although I don't remember if he used the EUB or the double bass.

8. thanks guys, much appreciated