Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5'er fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Si-bob, Feb 13, 2002.

1. hey people!
    i'm interested in a nice new 5 fretless to replace my 4 fretless, any specific ideas on nice 5string fretless's in the range of about £800-£1000 ??.....must be lined.
    adn take into account i'm i england....so no obscure american luthiers! :)

*Si*

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Not sure about the price thing, but I have heard some pretty good stuff about the MTD Kingston 5 fretless basses. www.bassnw.com and www.basscentral.com both carry them, and I believe that they ship worldwide. Correct me if I am wrong.:)

3. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Si,

I just picked up a Stingray 5 fretless that I'm very happy with. If my currency conversion is correct, you'd be in the ballpark.

Happy Hunting,
    Bones

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Si -

The K5 fretless is a great choice for a low price.

Unfortunately, alembicbones suggestion of purchasing a SR5 from the US isn't an option for you. Ernie Ball is very protective of it's overseas dealers and doesn't allow their US dealers to sell their product overseas. I'd like to add that I heartily agree with their policy. They are an excellent company to do business with, and take good care of both the end customers and the dealers.

5. hey thanks guys

yeah, i don't really think that ordering from th US is an option 4 me. i know a few MM dealers, but if i wanted a Kingston i would have to order untried, which i don't have much of a problem with, because everybody here swears by them :)
    what warwicks r available in that price range? or sectors?.....reember it must b a lined fretless :)

cheers
    *Si*

6. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
  7. If you want a lined fretless Warwick, you'll have to pay some extra for the lines. Hence, there are very few lined fretless Warwicks around. I don't think I've seen even one.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you can get Deans in England look for the Deans that are made in the Czech Republic. They are very nice, similar to Czech Spectors in construction and quality (they're made in the same facility). I have a Korean Dean five fretless and I'm in love with it.

9. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Pedulla Pentabuzz damn it. Find one and try it out.

since ur in England see if you can find a Ritter fretless. Those are also a very nice sounding bass. I think they might even be cheaper over there. I actually have been shopping for one but all of them brand new are about $3,500 - 4,200. Depending on what u want. Insane if you ask me. If you find them used (and I am finding a few more out there) they can run anywhere from $900-2,000 used, again depends on the wood/4 or 5/fretted/fretless, etc...

i'm working on a guy now that has a Ritter Classic 5 fretted that he wants to part with ASAP. He needs money for a closing on a house. And he started out at $1,600 and we're down to $1,000, no joke. he is desperate, almost to the point I feel bad/guilty. But we shall see.

good luck