5string bass question..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hello all you bass cats...
    just wondering..hehe..
    Would it be bad if i got a 5 string and tuned it EADGC instead of the normal BEADG...
    are there anybasses under the 500 dollar range thats good for this?
    Ima buy 2 new axes this summer loooking at another Fender P bass and a 5 string.. just to fool around with ....

2. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Get a 6 string (BEADGC)

I think Ibanez makes a 6 for under 500

Plus you'd have to buy 6 string sets anyway.
  3. Hey Nick course it wouln't be bad!!! It's just a matter of the right tool for the right job!! If you're playing calls for you to use the upper register of the bass and you wanna extend that go for it dude. Not sure about axes and prices - better get advice form your side of the pond!!

I would also say if you don't need it don't get a six string. I have three 5 ers, all BEADG 'cos that's the end of the bass I use the most - I could've got a 6er but would have no use for the high C yet. When I need it, I'll get it!!

OH yeah, Phantom of the Opera is a great track. I've been playing it on and off for about 12 years - still wish I could play it right. I still have a bit of bother with the bass solo/bridge bit that plays right up on the dusty end of my basses!!! But I'm getting better at it!!:D :D
  4. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    thanks you guys..
    Ill proly just get a 6 string. i kinda wanted a 6 strign anyway.. to play some dream theater stuff.. cause im sick of trying to figure out how to move fatal tragedy to a 4 string..hehe
    oh yeah my friend leo saw DT last night.. he sed Myung messed up like 5 times.. i was like.. and tahts a man that stares at his shoes..
    I like myung though he rocks.. i just thought it was funny
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would also recommend a 6 string. If you get a 5 string and string it high, you'll have trouble buying strings. Also, you'll have to get a new nut installed, which is a PITA. Dean makes a 6 string made in Korea Edge for under $500 new. I have a Korean Edge 5 and it's a solid instrument. Recommended.
  6. hey
    wen i first got my 5er, i had it strung EADGC, i wanted it like this to further my solo chordal playing, and while it does sound very nice, i hardly ever used it with everyday playing. So i changed my stringing back to BEADG, and i have to say that i use the B a LOT more then i did they C, having said that, i'm used to both ways now, and every 6er i'v tried i'v easily converted my playing to....so by all means try your way, but to be honest with you, if you want a high C, my advice would be to get a 6er, although personally i wouldn't pay anything under £1000 for a 6
    hope this helped

strings of any combination are NOT difficult to get, any DECENT guitar/bass shop should let u buy individual strings, so u can pick'n'mix all you like.
  7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    good call on the 6. You were wanting to tune the 5 to E A D G C, so with the 6, youll have that option plus the option of that low B. Just seems to make sense to me.