Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5string set for 6string bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Edwcdc, May 6, 2004.

1. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    First of all, if this has been covered let me know. I couldn't figure out how to word my search.
    Anyway, It seems that lately all of the music stores in my area are not stocking DR HighBeams 6string sets. I call and they always say " no sir but we should be getting them in any day now." NOT! They do have 5string sets all day long.

My stupid question is this. Does anyone buy 5 string sets for their 6 string bass and just keep the old C string on? I find that it doesn't get as much use as the others and pretty much maintains it's brightness. Is this some strange freak like move or is it something that is commonly done?

2. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Ah the 6 string dilemma....kinda like the "double-balled ends" dilemma.....sure in a big city, you'll find everything you need, but in smaller centers, well....you know.

If you come to the music store I teach at, you can ONLY get 4 and 5 string sets, and they're all "Chuck's" which to me are crap.

But I get the owners to make special orders to get me the Roto swing 66 I like....thank god!

I would go to your fav store and place an actual order for what you want, and get a few sets just in case...then...let them know (in person) that you are a client with a 6 string and will continue to buy stuff there, provided they have what you want...you'll be surprised how many times it actually works.

Use the old "I'll take my business elsewhere" tactic

Good luck....as for you're keeping the old string routine, for me....just knowing it's not a matching set would urk me. Nothings better than a new set of strings.

3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

The funny thing is, I live right smack dab in the middle of Washington DC and Baltimore MD and both GC's don't have them. :(

4. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Try some of the smaller stores. If the prices look insane (they usually do) inquire about them. Most places will give them to you for the same price as GC or musicians friend.

But I've bought 5 string sets before, usually for financial reasons. I usually boil my strings once or twice anyway so I just boil the C before putting on the 5er set. It works pretty well I suppose.

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've been conned into going the "buy this packaged 4 string set and we'll add this single B string to make the set" routine. It was obvious that the strings sounded kinda disjointed like they didn't match. And they never seemed to age at the same rate.

I have a 6 string Fodera Imperial that is a 36" scale. Talk about a tough set to find.

You might want to check www.bassguitarstrings.us. They are the forum sponser here and I've ordered several sets of strings from them. They are great people, with really good prices and very fast shipping and the packaging was bomb proof.

Bottomline is you really don't want to leave an old string on your bass. My 2 cents. ;)

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I would just move your string purchases online. www.bassguitarstrings.us is a good choice--I've bought some stuff from him, myself.

Your idea of using the existing high 'c' string should work fine, too. Temporarily, at the very least. I would just make a point to tell your local store, "You know--I tried to support my local business, but you didn't carry what I needed. So, I took my business online. It was very easy, so I might try it with basses, cables, amps, etc."

If you tell them why they are losing your business, they might do something about it. If not, then they deserve whatever fate the market has in store for them.

7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

Check out the Wahington Music Center over in Wheaton...that place blows GC away.

8. I'm not surprised GC didn't have them. A friend of mine went to GC to get a slide for his guitar, and they had one size. Only one! Unfortunately, it's too small for his finger. I got it stuck on my ring finger yesterday, and got a nice bruise all around the knuckle pulling it off. Took about five minutes.

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    ouch! :meh:

Atomic Music is where Brad Johnson hangs out alot. I'm sure they've got a decent selection of strings and other bass gear or he wouldn't be there. You might want to check them out.

10. I think you can probably get away with it if the strings are the same gauge / brand / type as the set you are replacing.