Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5th TB Owner? MTD 535

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Aug 22, 2005.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm counting myself fortunate to have acquired this fine 535 recently. After using it on 3 gigs this past weekend, I'm very impressed. So impressed that I plan to work up a full review with rig details, etc. I've owned two previous 535's and a 635. None of them came close to this one. Psychedelic pic to follow:

[​IMG]

My thanks to the previous TB owners--you guys did a great job keeping this one in sweet condition for me! ;)

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Nice! Any idea what the difference is that made this one so much better for you? (woods/setup/?)

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've pondered that question...

My previous fretted 535 (the other 535 was fretless) was a maple board, maple top on alder body, I believe. This one is a rosewood board/maple neck, maple top on ash body. The other one had a few "soft" spots on the neck, this one doesn't. This one is a bit lighter, too.

Hard to say, really. Must just be one of those things! ;)

4. What makes one bass stand out above the rest for you and not necessarily others?

I'd call it "mojo"

Nice bass!

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, I agree. It's not that the other MTD's were bad, per se. Just that this one is much better. This one has a more consistent tone up and down the neck and seemingly more "life." It's also a bit more responsive to different techniques and rings like a bell with fingered harmonics. But yeah, more mojo, fershure! :D

6. I'd be willing to bet that some folks out there would have a different favorite out of the 3 you mentioned depending on their ears, technique and preferences. That's very cool that you have a bass that you really like.

7. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Love the MTDs. Congratulations! Enjoy!

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    So is this Mike's "classic" recipe?

Tulipwood body with a wenge neck and board? Can't tell about the board..

:eyebrow:

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nope, not at all, Mark. See above. Ash body, maple neck and rosewood board.

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Oh.. duh!!!

:oops:

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I did have a very light poplar body 635 with wenge neck and it was the best of the previous three I owned...but this one is significantly better.

As with all instruments, some are better than others. While there is a subjective factor, not all examples of a builder's art are equal. Although I imagine that Tobias is rather consistent...unless of course he's asked to build something against his will! ;)

Non-psychedelic pic of the bass from the back and a closeup of the body:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That's a beauty. Reminds me how much I loved mine. The only reason I sold it was to fund my 5-string P-bass habit. I'll own another 535 someday... it was definitely the best playing fiver I've owned, and the tone -- tones, plural -- was gorgeous.

13. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    About that 5-string P habit.....where's that Lull living nowadays? It if resurfaces, BANG!

14. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I sold that bass to Simon.. Got if from JerryJ, who got if from FunkyCarnivore, who got it from Jonathan Starr.. It is a great bass.. Not sure why it has been sold so much.. Definitely nothing negative going on with that bass.. It smoked, but my new Zon is more comfortable..

Enjoy!

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks for checking in on it! I was thinking Jonathan may have been the first owner. Wasn't aware that FunkyC had it but I remember seeing JerryJ's posts about it. I also wondered how it got passed around so much but I'm amazed actually that everyone took such good care of it. Good job, guys! Thanks. ;)

16. Glad to hear you are enjoying it, It is a great bass , nothing wrong with it, the only reason I sold it is that I have another 535, If it wasn't for that I would have kept this baby.

Cheers man :bassist:

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks again, Simon!

18. Congrats your bass looks killer!

Vince

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is indeed a sweet MTD! What rig do you think it works the best with?

Tom.

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very versatile bass, Tom. I imagine it would shine with just about any top-notch rig...I loved it with the Bergantino HT322, Crest CA-6 and SWR Grand Prix. But it was equally impressive with the EA iAMP 500 and two Wizzy cabs. Great slap tone so I'd probably opt for something with a Bergie cab, if forced to choose! ;)