1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$6.00 for a pint of beer! $11 for a pack of smokes!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by syciprider, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

How do you know that is what's happening? :confused:

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I am not sure what your media is telling you, but the general population are not applauding any tax increases. They are what they are, an increase in revenue and a way to try and limit certain behaviours. Just because they are understood doesn't mean they are applauded!

3. I wasn't speaking of this increase in particular or the British reaction to it. Perhaps I should have worded it better, but I was specifically thinking of individuals in this thread and other similar discussions where people are happy for the tax increase and seemingly don't understand the bigger picture.

Mike

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

So - you are saying that you understand the "bigger picture" better than those of us who live in this country and follow the budget situation on a regular basis? :eyebrow:

5. Reread the first sentence in the post you were responding to. Clarification should not be necessary.

Mike

6. Bruce Lindfield

Well this thread is all about the UK budget and reaction to it - that is the Topic - nothing else!

Well -apart from a few people from the US saying they know more about it than we do, as they have read a few poorly-researched News stories ...:p

But it will be me going to my local Jazz club tonight and paying whatever the price is for drinks - whereas I doubt it will have any direct effect on most of the people who have posted here...:eyebrow:

7. Well, my humble apologies, Bruce. I didn't mean to confuse everyone by straying so far from the topic at hand. You might want to be careful, though. This thread was specifically started about a tax and not the budget as a whole as you indicate. I'd really hate for there to be a full-on comprehension trainwreck by the expansion of the subject outside of the boundries set forth in the original post. I'm gonna go take a blimp ride. Enjoy.

Mike

8. Bruce Lindfield

Well the budget is where taxes are set and what has sparked off this interest. I am heartened that people in the US are so interested in our little country, but am naturally concerned that they get the facts and not tabloid rabble-rousing. :)

9. I think your maybe getting the wrong idea if you think people are applauding it. All we are saying is "it isnt that bad". The funny thing about this thread, is the title, the prices were already at the points in the title prior to tax increase, and the increase is pennies.

10. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    what kind of smokes are made locally in britishland?

11. Bruce Lindfield

Yup it's about the last thing I shall be thinking about, as I order a pint tonight! :p

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Just to annoy some posters in this thread, I might go an order a pint on my walk home and ask to pay 8p in tax - to think - the social engineering the government could hide in their public speeches with that extra 4p! That would get them really mad! :D

13. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    alcohol is much more expensive in scandinavia than the uk, but scandinavians don't complian too much about it and they still drink like fish.

this story makes mt think about the tax free shops on the channel ferries where you can buy as much as you want for 'personal consumption'. lot's of brits buy the dirt cheap roundtrip in a day so they can fill up their vans with alcohol and cigarettes 'for personal consumption':D

14. oh the controversy!

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I think they should tax less and spend less.

I would love to be able to vote where my money went. Let's say we give the government the ability to control where half of the tax revenue is spent. The remaining half would be sub-divided into several areas that we can check off where our money goes when paying taxes. I bet the war on drugs, and silly sin taxes would dry up pretty quickly.

16. +1

But be careful, lest you stray too far from the original post and intent of the thread and cause pandemonium.

Mike

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I find the term "sin taxes" interesting when applied to alcohol tax since the heavy taxation of alcohol (at least in the UK) pre-dates it being considered a "societal" sin. It was a way to raise revenue when it was introduced. In many ways taxing alcohol highly is maintaining the status quo! I suppose if using politically charged terms helps your argument though... :D

18. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    It's only politically charged if you believe in sin. To me, an atheist, sin seems like the best part of religion. ;)

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Amen :ninja:

20. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I think the correct term you were looking for is.

Cheers! :p