1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$6.00 for a pint of beer! $11 for a pack of smokes!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by syciprider, Mar 13, 2008.

1. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Remember it was the British that tried to tax our tea.

2. And what does that have to do with anything in this thread?

3. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Quite a bit actually.

4. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    +1

You raise a make a very good point. Can you imagine a luxury tax of 10% or higher on nonessential things like music gear? Pay extra to buy new bass guitars and amps, etc. just because some non-musical people think it would be a good way to make extra money for community wellness programs. :eyebrow: Not to mention, that evil rock & roll that corrupts our youth will be curtailed! ;)

5. Well no, theres a big difference between one country taxing another and a country taxing itself.

Come on everyone, 5 pence is enough to cause us to throw a *****-fit and throw everything into the sea!

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    It exists, strictly speaking there is a 3% tariff on bass guitars imported into the UK. Most people just don't think about excises, tariffs and duties that have always existed on many of the "luxury" items we use day to day until its brought to their attention by their favourite talk back radio host or gossip rag / newspaper.

7. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels

that's exactly how it works here. music gear is expensive because it's a luxury item. same for smokes and alcohol. food is taxed much less cos it isn't a luxury item, same for education for example. rich people pay more for medicine than poor people (at least in belgium). we call it wealth redistribution and it works really well for us.

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Especially if you're talking about Long Island Iced Tea.

9. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Hehehehehe. Come to where I live, and pay $14 for 10 sigs. $5 for a pint in a regular shop, bad quality. When at a bar, expect paying 8-16$ for you pint...
    Oh and everything you import here, you need pay 25% tax of what you bought it for. So a 1500$ bass suddenly costs 1825$! Then again it'd cost me 3900-4000$ if I'd buy from a shop (talking music man stingray).

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Uh no, they didn't always exist. Someone put them there and probably in small increments so there will be very little push back from the ppl who are affected. Social engineering was brought up somewhere here.

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Wow! I have to be thankful for being a lightweight drinker!

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Okay they existed on alcohol since 1680ish. Now, I don't know how old you are, but that's pretty close to "always existing" as far back as I can remember.

13. Not everyone gets their news the same way you do.:)

Mike