6/5 string funky bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryan morris, Jun 4, 2001.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The title says it all. I am looking for a five, preferably six, string bass that has lots of space between the strings (like a four string). And I want some nice electronics on it already. It needs to feel right and look good too. Does anyone know of a bass like this that exists? If it helps, I love the tone of a fender american jazz and the looks of a warwick. I would be playing funk on it mainly. Thanks in advance and later.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Roscoe Beck 5 has wide 19 mm string spacing and a nifty electronics package--all passive. Can sound like a normal Fender Jazz or something else. G&L 2500, Yamaha TRB5 and BB5, and Peavy Millenium also have reasonably wide string spacing. They don't exactly sound like a Jazz, though.
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Oh my.....Warwick Thumb Bolt-on Broad Neck.

Comes in 5 and 6 string with 20mm spacing. The neck on the 5 is wider than many 6 strings.

I have a Bolt-on (not a broad neck) and got it just for playing funk. I don't think you could argue a bass more suited to typical funk sound. Greatest punch around!!! Super tight B-string from nut to bridge.

Heavy as hell though, and poor neck-body balance.
  4. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    wow, i didn't know that they made 5/6 string peaveys. i have been really happy with their products lately. i'll have to check into those. i would love a roscoe beck 6(if there were such an instrument).
    what kind of string spacing do curbows and conklin gt's have? just wondering. later, and thanks for the heads up on a few brands.
  5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The "real" Curbows have nice wide 20mm (a little over 3/4") spacing, while the Cort ones are narrower, maybe 11/16" (17.5mm) which is average. I've never played the the Conklin GT, but I have some notion that it's about 11/16", as well.

The Curbows are fantastic slap basses, in my opinion--the Rockwood neck has the "zingy" tone of graphite, but a bit warmer, with a fast feel and wider spacing than either Modulus or Zon.

6. Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    You'll more than likely will fall in love with the MTD 5 or 6. These basses offer great spacing, I know I have large hands with long fingers. Also they have bartollini electronic. Excellent tone with comfort.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

ryan, you need to answer an important question for us.

How mauch are you looking to spend?

At the low end, there is the Ibanez BTB406. 3/4" spacing at the bridge, 6 strings, decent electronics, etc.

From there you can go to things like the Roscoe Beck(5), Carvin BB75 and BB76, most Pedullas come in a 19mm option, and on up to stuff like Atelier Zs, Warwick wide neck bolt ons, and they even make the Streamer Stage I neck through with 20mm spacing.

For even more money, you can get a Fodera, an MTD, a Curbow, a custom Conklin, and a lot off other hand built prestige brands with 3/4" spacing as well(or even wider).

So, how much money?
  8. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i was thinking somewhere around $1,000. i say that because i want to spend 700 on a used, but if i find one for about 1,200 i'd be willing to save a bit longer. hopefully by summers end i can make the purchase, but i want to shop around now. thanks for all the brands to look into so far though. it should keep me busy. later, ryan
  9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    off the topic, from bass palace:

um...how do they figure that?