1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6/8 Feel example recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by hdiddy, Oct 12, 2009.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Ahh sorry for more spam.

I REAALLLYY need to strengthen my 6/8 feel. Can you guys provide some quintessential examples? Just need more ideas.
    Afro 6/8 would be great.

Looking for stuff in this vein:

Thnx.

2. Thomas is excellent.
    I did a **** load of this stuff with
    Tjader. Many different figures. There are so many guys out there in the Bay Area who are deep into this, I would think you could pick up the phone and get some free feed-back from drummers and bassists who live this. The big thing for me is more about the physical stamina of repetitive figures in the bass. :crying:
    You know Vince Lateano, Huy?

3. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I dont' know him personally but I know who he is.
    But by what you're saying, maybe it's time I finally give David Belove a call and get some lessons.

4. Gornick

Gornick

Jun 23, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    This might be the best example I can come up with:

There's a better performance of Afro Blue on Tito Puente's greatest hits compilation, but I can't find it readily on the webnet. Mongo doesn't start time till 3 minutes in... the piano solo tends to show off the 2 against 3 better than the horn.

The Coltrane versions are good to check out too.

Also The Latin Bass Book has a 6/8 section that is real nice, and includes exercises flipping between 6/8 and 4/4 tumbaos.

5. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    hours and hours of Jimmy Garrison with Elvin, pretty much all recommended! I know thats a very obvious answer, but there you go...

6. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    A few thoughts:

This intense salsa version of "Invitation" off Brian Lynch's Con Clave brought your mind to mind immediately.

I used to play "The Visit" off Pat Martino's Footprints all the time.

That made me think of . . . Wayne Shorter's landmark song, Footprints

Don't overlook the obvious: Coltrane's Afro Blue

Have fun. Report back please.

7. fender_funk_man

fender_funk_man

Feb 19, 2009
    All Blues by Miles Davis is in 6/8

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I have been getting into Jerry Gonzalez Fort Apache Band for that kind of Latin Groove - there's some good stuff there!

Loads of 6/8 grooves - 51D1DewkyzL._SL500_AA280_.

9. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Latin Bass Book... duh. I just received my copy the other day.

Ahh yes, Footprints... why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the suggestions so far. I listened to Sam and renewed my eMusic contract so these are all going into the queue unless I can't hold out and wait until the end of the month (very likely).

Keep 'em coming if anybody thinks of anything else.

10. johnz

johnz

Apr 26, 2008
    Ashland, OR
    Huy, you might give Rob Fisher a call. He's another Cal Tjader alum and all over this kind of playing. He does give lessons. He's over in Berkeley. And, he's a heck of a nice guy. PM me if you need his phone number.

11. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Columnist — BassMagazine.com, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    Here's a youtube video of the WDR Big Band playing Better Than Anything with Nnenna Freelon at the Montreux Jazz Fest. It is like a long-meter blues that switches back and forth from the 6/4 groove to fast 4/4. Nnenna is singing in 4/4 over the 6/4 parts.

12. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Thanks for the clip John.
    Will work on it. BTW: I got your arco book. Lots a great ideas in that. I'm going to try to do some arco solos eventually.

So far 6/8 has been helping me out with both my swing feel and my soloing. I was rushing during solos where I'd try to play a more complex rhythmic figure and this is help out alot. It seems to not just give more strength to the subdivision groove, but also gives the quarter-note triplet-y lines more foundation too.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Another one that was pointed out to me by a teacher, as great rhythm section playing is "Barracudas" on Wayne Shorter's Etcetera album...?