Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

#6 Acacia

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fivestringdan, Aug 16, 2005.

1. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, I found another Acacia I have been wanting for a while. A Gruv fivestring fretless. As a special bonus it has the hand carved bridge that Matt did for custom orders. Plus some Lane Poors, may change these out for some Bartolini's. I currently own five Acacia basses. Sold a sixstring couple of years ago because it was VERY heavy. Sounded great though. These are really wonderful instruments. I'm happy to finding them rather inexpencive as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=7343154956

The hunt continues...Maybe a fourstring next. :smug:

2. looks nice. i think that's onle the 2nd or 3rd I've even seen pics of.....

3. saintx

saintx

May 30, 2005
    Midwest
    I can't believe I didn't find that! I've been looking for a good fretless five for a while, and I've been an Acacia owner for a while now. I think I remember seeing that one up for sale at thelowend.net several years ago. Congrats on a great bass purchase and good luck finding that four.

Pic of my four :)

[​IMG]

4. saintx

saintx

May 30, 2005
    Midwest
  5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I was surprised that Acacia on Ebay lasted as long as it did. It's a beauty.

Enjoy,
    Marshall

6. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Acacia basses are fantastic! My old one is at The Low End now, as a down payment for the new fretless six.... I sorely miss playing that one!

7. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah, there is not much information on the web about Matt's basses. I am going to put up his old website as soon as mine is finished. I will also try and get some history information from Matt. Brian Barrett from thelowend has also agreed to submit some stuff about Matt.

8. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Sweet bass!!! When I get the new Acacia web site running I am going to invite owners to send pictures and info about their basses and keep a public record. What's the specs on your's.

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I believe I did have that bass when it was New. It might be in the old lowend website, very cool Score! Matt did awesome work... but i don't have to tell that to anyone in this thread..

10. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Hey Brian. How is Nashville treating you? Glad to hear that Chris decided to move as well. At last I'll get a chance to go by his shop!!!!

I haven't seen many of his basses with the custom bridge. Glad to have a couple with that option. Thanks for turning me on to these great instruments. You seem to make a habit of that ;)

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Nashville/Murfreesboro is Great. Really nice from ... well where I came from, but its not hard to go up from memphis.

Chris has his hosue up forsale on OR and looking to buy here when it sells, so it will be nice to not have to fly back and forth and e-mail and phone call to keep each other up to date on whats up and try and work designs and R&D work on basses and new ideas.

It will be cool as well to have the LowEnd in the front and Benavente guitars out the back and people able to come by and see everything.

You will be more then welcome to come anytime... I should have the shop setup soon... like a week or so. We will ave to hold some GTG's with all the guys in GA, AL, MS, AR and TN.

Keep in touch,
    Brian

12. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Man that's going to be great!!! I can't wait!! Let me know when the grand opening will be. Congratulations!!!

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    wow dan, another acacia!?! Cool!

Great score!

14. saintx

saintx

May 30, 2005
    Midwest
    Thanks, man. It's a padouk body, wenge/padouk neck, and some type of rosewood fingerboard. Lane Poor pickups of course, with an ebony bridge and brass nut. I've got some old slowwounds on it now but may change to TI superalloys. Any string recommendations for an Acacia?
    Good luck on building the Acacia site...I can't wait to see what all is out there!

15. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I still string mine up with slowwounds!! Have a ton of sets from years back when I worked at a guitar store. I have used the D'Addario XLs and they sound great too. Other than that I put a set of SIT steel strings for a slap/funk gig and oh my, what a sound. I usually don't play those type of gigs but it sounded great for the style.

I'll send you a email when the site is done. I have Matt's site done just need to get mine up and hopefully have the time to run it.

16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

Hoping to be moving in this weekend........ Its been great all the people contacting me about when they can come by and where I am at.... hadn't even advertised, just word of mouth. I'm excited, after coming from memphis where I've been my whole life, but had the LowEnd for 10 years and open to the public shop for 5-6, the market just wasn't there for high-end, but here in Nashville and Murfreesboro its killer....

Your welcome to come over anytime and I hope Chris sales the house and can get moved sooner then later. Right now the place I'm going in will do and Chris will have a place to set his machines and get back to building, but we will need something larger very soon when he moves.

17. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Both of my Acacia's came strung with slowounds. I believe they were Matt's string of choice for his basses, and they were mine too. I miss slowounds Dammit!!!

Hey Dan, wanna sell me a set?

:bag:

18. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Quick question: why are you going to change the Lane Poors? I have a six string with LP's in it and was thinking of swapping them out. What don't you like about them?

19. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I'll think about it.

BTW did Justin sold me your old Acacia 6. I have some custom Barts in it and it just smokes!!!! There were two high frets on the bass side I had to glue down. This thing sings!!! Justin had Lane Poors in it but I asked him to ship it to me without pickups. The LP sound just isn't for me.

20. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    They sound "too" clear I guess. I really like the Bartolini sound. Just my preference. I gave them a try for about two years in one bass and really sounded great but I was missing that huge bottom my barts have. Nothing bad about the sound, in fact if I ever started doing solo work I would use the Lanes or EMG's.