1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 hours to practice...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by HumanClay, Apr 15, 2006.

1. HumanClay

HumanClay

Dec 19, 2005
    Australia
    hi everyone.
    i have 6 hours a day set out for (focused) practice. Does anyone know of a good practice schedule that i could follow?
    (i would like to practice in 2 hour incriments, rather than just a flat out 6 hours)
    also what are some improtant things that i need to include... so far i have...

classical
    scales, sight reading, pieces, technical studys.

jazz
    walking, reading, improv.

i have also included some aural and theroy.

you help is much apreciated :)

basschic

2. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    There was a practice plan which included classical and jazz printed in the Double Bassist magazine a few months ago. Don't have it with me now, but I'm sure someone could tell you..

3. Thats alot of time.

I would split the practice in 15 minute intervals.
    1st 15 minutes - scale warmups to include major, minor, dom7
    2nd 15 minutes - cycles with just the chordal notes in
    triad fashion like this:
    * Important** Make sure you say the chord out loud: example: say G major before you play the G major chord.

Root 3rd 5th on G C F Bb Eb Ab Db Gb(F#) B E A D G.

3rd 15 minutes - expand that, by doing a 4th note (not a triad anymore)
    *Rememeber to say the chord out loud*

with G7 (R 3 5 b7) to
    Cmaj7 (R 3 5 7)) to
    Cm7 (R b3 5 b7) to
    F7 (R 3 5 b7) to
    Bbmaj7 (R 3 5 7)

then

Bbm7 (R b3 5 b7) to
    Eb7 (R 3 5 b7) to
    Abmaj7 (R 3 5 7), to
    Abm7 (R b3 5 b7) to
    Db7 (R 3 5 b7) to
    Gbmaj7 (R 3 5 7)

then

Gbm7 (which is also F#m7, R b3 5 b7) to
    B7 (R 3 5 b7) to
    Emaj7 (R 3 5 7) to
    Em7 (R b3 5 b7) to
    A7 (R 3 5 b7) to
    Dmaj7 (R 3 5 7).

Doing the above everyday, you will learn the fretboard and the chordal notes, you will play musically. Practicing just scales are boring and non creative. You will be surprised once this all clicks. You will be creating great bass lines and walking quickly.

4th 5 minutes - record yourself playing. and for the next 10 minutes try to name the notes, intervals, and/or chords.

This is 1 solid hour of practice..

4. I usually dont post to the Double Bass Forum, I Didnt know I was in Double bass Forums, but the info is good.

5. HumanClay

HumanClay

Dec 19, 2005
    Australia
    thanks for that, i can walk and everything at the moment.... i would just like to be alot better at it. But i will definatly give the scale thing that you said a go : )

6. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    This looks like a free bass lesson. Thanks!:hyper:

7. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    In relation to another thread in the Theory section, go through the modes of a few different keys, 2 octaves. I find that thinking modally can really help your walking and soloing, especially in minor.

8. HumanClay

HumanClay

Dec 19, 2005
    Australia
    Awesome Kam! will do

9. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    If I were you, I'd look into dedicating maybe at least one of those hours to some very intent listening, i.e. headphones, quiet, dimly-lit room and no distractions. Nowhere near enough of my students ever listen as much as I think is important.

I'd try and put the listening portion somewhere in the middle. Especially if you're working on a particular tune. Say you're working on the tune "It Could Happen To You." Spend a bit of time working on the tune, then listen to a few different versions of it. See what Keith Jarrett does with the tune, then maybe Chet Baker's or Sonny Rollins' versions. Then go back to the tune in your later practicing with some new ideas.

Or what I like to do is to listen to something completely different from what I'm currently working on. I might be working on some standards in my practicing, then I'll go spend some time just really intently listening to Mahler or John Zorn or Peter Gabriel. Just to kind of cleanse the pallet.

I don't mean to get on a soapbox here, but I really think that the art of listening has gone out the window. We're so used to listening to music while doing something else (washing dishes, reading, driving, etc...) that we forget to take time to really concentrate and comprehend what's going on.

Anyway, spending some time listening will make you a far better musician in my opinion, and it will help you to expand your record (CD) library, which you'll be glad you did in the long run.

10. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Oh yeah....and make sure to have a good time. It's work, but it's not. :smug:

11. HumanClay

HumanClay

Dec 19, 2005
    Australia
    i agree completly with what you said.... music is everywhere, we are so used to hearing it we forget to listen

12. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Written transcription would be good too, I wish I had time to do that more often. Take advantage of it while you can, it will help your ears and your rhythm.

13. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City

Amen!!!

Some people even "listen" music to relax and go to sleep. I can't do that, If I'm listening to music, my whole brain gets into it and I can't focus on anything else. If my mind is set on something else, I'd rather not have music playing 'cause I don't really listen to it and it's just like it wasn't there.

Great advice that one about listening to different versions of the same tune. I like to listen to as much different versions of a tune as I can. I usually play them back to back. It's an interesting thing to do.

14. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    The best way to improve your intonation is to improve your ears. The best way I've found is to sing in a good choir. Plus you get to perform interesting music and meet people.

I sang in the university choir and in the best church choir I could find. It had about 50 singers, the organist played like Eddie Van Halen and he picked interesting, difficult music. When they found out I played bass, guitar and percussion, I often got little solos or accompaniments. The director even occationally selected music just so the instrument could be featured.

15. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    If possible, record yourself when you have something to where you think you are happy with it. I've often found that what i THINK i'm playing is faaaar from reality. A minidisc and decent mic doesnt cost the earth, and they're great practice tools.

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That is so true. I've proved that one to myself MANY times.