6 months to replace a Fender Custom Shop jazz bass neck under warranty?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jpeck02, Aug 6, 2013.

1. jpeck02

jpeck02 Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Danville, CA
    I don't normally share bad customer service experiences but I've had the ABSOLUTE worst experience with the Fender Custom Shop.

Does anybody know how is in charge over there? Who can I speak with in order to get my neck completed, replaced and delivered?

They've had the bass since March 21st and have made multiple promises. Today, I was informed that it will take another 30 days to complete.

Help:help:

2. Well. It is custom.

3. jpeck02

Mar 5, 2011
    Danville, CA
    I was first told that the replacement would take 8 weeks. Then I was told 12 weeks. Then I was told 16 weeks.... now we are at 20 weeks and 4 more to go....

Custom or not, this is unacceptable.

Sadowsky, Lakland and Pedulla would have this fixed in weeks, not months.

4. Don't take this as being abrupt, that probably don't sell the same volume either. Either way it is too long.

5. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Is the neck a production piece, or a true custom neck?

6. jpeck02

Mar 5, 2011
    Danville, CA
    It is a "custom classic" which I believe is not a true custom piece. In any event, my frustration is with all of the commitments that were broken. I need to find someone in the custom shop that I can hold accountable and get this ordeal over with.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Sounds like horrible customer service to me.

8. jpeck02

Mar 5, 2011
    Danville, CA
    It was even suggested in emails that I was "impatient" and "crying". I am speechless.

9. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    umm, I don't know you, you could be the worlds biggest @-hole, (I'm sure you're not) but who writes that in an email to customer??

that's not smart on their part.

10. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Sorry for your troubles. A Custom Classic is a production piece. The Custom Classics are team built instruments, so you are probably experiencing production lag. I would bet the neck for your bass is part of a production schedule and will be completed when they do another run of your type of neck. I had the exact same thing happen to me, only with a whole bass. I ordered a Custom Classic Jazz Bass, 3 tone sunburst, tort guard, rosewood with pearloid blocks. A totally standard build for Custom Classics. I was told originally 8-12 weeks for completion, 10 months later I got my bass! That being said, email Fender customer service and express your displeasure. I did and got some cool swag. A Custom Shop serving tray with a set of Custom Shop cocktail glasses. I was still pissed, but the swag is cool. Good luck.

I just read the part about commitments being broken and such...Unfortunately, Fender is the 800 lb. gorilla and generally do as they please.

11. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I'd say it's time to speak to Fender corporate about that and forward them those emails. It's obviously unacceptable to continuously not meet their own deadlines, but to insult you when you call them on their bad work ethic? I would be pissed too.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    If you don't have it in 30 days pm me.

13. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Someone who doesn't value their job, I think. Higher ups generally don't take kindly to CS reps verbally abusing customers.

14. TuneIn

TuneIn

Feb 15, 2010
    Fender=FWOT

15. jpeck02

Mar 5, 2011
    Danville, CA
    I can assure you that I have been incredibly respectful and courteous in all my communication.

I was copied on an email that I obviously should not have seen.

16. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Can I ask what was wrong with the first neck? Was it defective, or is this a repair?

6 months? I would be fairly upset, myself! They actually got snarky with you in emails? That is something I've never heard of from the custom shop, and I would think someone up the "chain of command" should be informed if that happened.

17. jpeck02

Mar 5, 2011
    Danville, CA
    Thanks!

18. I would think Gougedeye is correct above. I have had the same issues with another builder and I was told that the neck was only run once or twice a year, when demand called for it and I would just have to wait. It has been since March 20th.

19. jpeck02

Mar 5, 2011
    Danville, CA
    The neck suddenly developed a twist. They acknowledged that there were issues with birdseye maple necks and suggested a quarter sawn maple neck.

20. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    I hate hearing stories like this about the Fender Custom Shop - especially since I recall seeing o a thread very similar to this not long ago. Even worse, sometimes I think the laid back "we'll do it when we do it" mentality of some of the California builders sours people to the brand. I know I felt that way when I contacted G&L customer service a few times about two years ago.

Save all your emails from this exchange, and I would get in touch with Fender's corporate customer relations.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021