6 months to replace a Fender Custom Shop jazz bass neck under warranty?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jpeck02, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Do share :)

2. jpeck02

jpeck02 Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Danville, CA
    I accept that sometimes, people need to renegotiate their commitments. We all screw up and overcommit sometimes. I was tolerant the first time. Now, I am being played.

3. jpeck02

Mar 5, 2011
    Danville, CA
    DONE!

4. jpeck02

Mar 5, 2011
    Danville, CA
    So basically, it is their policy to string you along until they have enough orders for the type of component that you need, then they build it.

Makes sense.

Now I understand why they keep telling me that it will be ready in 30 days.

They simply have no clue when it will be done.

Should not have sold my Sadowsky on Talkbass LOL!

5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    "Unfortunately, Fender is the 800 lb. gorilla and generally do as they please."

Ding! We have a winnah!

6. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    That doesn't mean they want bad consumer relations, and I'm sure once corporate knows about this, someone will try to make it right.

Fender may be a gorilla, but that doesn't mean they are Big Brother.

7. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    You are right, just a Big Monkey....

8. RobSatFender

RobSatFender

Apr 29, 2011
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Director, Customer Service, Fender
    Hi jpeck02,
    sorry to hear you're having troubles with your repair. If you would PM me with the serial I'll check out the details and see if we can put some forward motion in on it....or at least a solid expect date.
    Best regards,
    rob

9. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx!

Oct 31, 2006
    Western Hemisphere
    I bet if your name was Gary Weinrib or Gordon Sumner you wouldn't have any issues whatsoever.

10. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    One way to really get their attention is to complain to the Better Business Bureau. I did that about a Dell laptop a few years back and a long wait and uncertain outcome turned into immediate results.

11. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    very nice.

12. jpeck02

Mar 5, 2011
    Danville, CA
    Agreed!

13. slobake

slobake resident ... something

Obviously another way is to post about it out on a TB Forum. Let us know what happens.

14. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Inactive

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    I read gouged eyes explanation Carefully. He explained that the custom classic is not a true 100% custom shop custom instrument. It is a production instrument.
    Even worse, it is a limited run production instrument! My point being that they won't even have a neck for you until they may connect on production schedule which obviously is not right now.

15. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Inactive

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Furthermore, I've often wondered about these instruments seeing them on eBay around $2000. It dawns on me that that would be very cheap for a real custom shop instrument. Now I know why!

16. jpeck02

Mar 5, 2011
    Danville, CA
    Update. Rob Schwarz is on the case! Great communication and a new plan. I will update everyone once there is progress. So far, I am cautiously optimistic.

17. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    While I'm presently on the Wal wait list (halfway thereabouts), a Fender Custom Shop bass had also been in my plans as well shortly thereafter. I'm saying "had" been until this story. Now I am back on the fence about it.

18. John Freeman

John Freeman Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I'm sorry to hear about how Fender is treating the OP and wouldn't be happy either. Fender CS has always been great to me and if I passed on making a purchase because of one or two issues, I wouldn't own anything. No car, bass, bike, microwave, camera, phone...

19. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    It's not so much the fact that there is a problem as in the way Fender is handling it. The errant cc on an inappropriate email is strike one. That kind of comment should never be made by anyone about any customer, regardless of whether or not the intent was to keep it private. Employees who say things like that are toxic. If I were in a leadership role at Fender I'd find the guilty and they'd be dismissed.

The second is the unbelievably slow turn around time for repair.

My reason for voicing this publicly is that aside from being true, I hope it provokes thought that leads to positive action.

20. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

With the price of CS Basses.
    This is totally wrong.
    30 days tops.
    Fender dropped the ball, big time on this one.