1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 ohm speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tualatin, May 3, 2006.

1. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    Are there 6 ohm speakers?

The tech at the repair shop was trying to determine the resistance in one of my speakers with a voltometer and got a reading of about 4.5. He said that a 4ohm speaker would register at about 3,2 and an 8 ohm would see about 6.5, which led him to belive that mine was a 6 ohm. It's out of a 6x10 wired to run 4 ohms, but I assumed they were 8 ohm speakes wired like the example in OHM Faq's thread.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Could be a 6 ohm speaker. Companies that can afford to buy in quantity can get whatever they want.

I'd recommend that you give Mesa a call (assuming that it's a Mesa cabinet (I looked in your profile)) and ask them.

The DC resistance of a loudspeaker will always be less than its impedance, so it's safe to round up when measuring resistance.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Some 8 ohm woofers with very high voice coil inductance might read that low. Check the manufacturer's specs, they will quote both impedance and DCR.
    To get 4 ohms total load from six drivers they'd be 6 ohm drivers, wired as three parallel banks of series pairs or two series banks of parallel trios. You can't get 4 ohms from six 4 or 8 ohm drivers.