Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 piece band need head help !!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderaholic, Aug 28, 2005.

1. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    hello

i will be joining a 6 piece melodic metal band 2 guitars,singer,drummer, and keys. I am looking for a loud head for giging and practices i will also be getting a avatar 4x10 not sure which one exactly. Can someone recomend me a loud head under $500. I realy like the tone of the solid state ampegs and the simplicity of the ampegs B series controls but they dont have anything loud enough in my price range.

thanks eric

2. The Mesa Boogie walkabout head by itself is 300 watts (that's Mesa watts and they are LOUD), loaded with two 12AX7 vacuum tubes and a 3 band semi-parametric EQ. It's $474 everywhere.

3. Thing is, it depends what your guitarists are using and how loud your drummer is

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Kustom Groovebass 1200 new is in the $500 ballpark.
    -500Watts or so at 8ohms
    -800Watts or so at 4ohms
    -1200Watts at 2ohms

GK 1001-RB is $600 new, so you could surely land a used one for under $500.
    -740Watts at 4ohms... sounds louder, IMO
    -All SS, like Ampeg's B-Series... but has the ability to growl (in a hi-fi way, I suppose) and is generally louder and clearer.

Used rack preamp (Sansamp RBI or BBE BMax) would be around $225.... used QSC RMX850 would be about $200.
    -600Watts bridged at 8ohms
    -850Watts bridged at 4ohms
    -The ability to drastically alter your tone with the affordable switching of a preamp. :smug:

Another option, still under $500.....
    Used Sansamp BDDI... $125...... used QSC RMX1450.... $300 or so.
    -900Watts bridged at 8ohms
    -1400Watts bridged at 4ohms
    -Same pre-power luxuries

There's also plenty more choices on the used Market, I'm sure. Dont think that your options are strictly limited.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Only head that qualifies for being extremely loud and under $500 new (with a great warranty to boot!) is the Kustom Groove 1200 head. These can be had for $450ish - $500 new if you know where to go. 1200 watts, great tone (you can dial in anything from high-fi to Ampeg tubish sound), great construction, free footswitch and heavy duty 10 ft Neutrik Speak-on cable (this is worth about $80 alone for the cable), etc.

[​IMG]

6. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    thanks for all the replies. the Kustom Groove 1200 head could someone link it to me and would guitar center have this head.

the walkabout is $474 new ? becuase my ampeg B2R is 350 watt and isnt very loud ? so are you sure 300 mesa watts in enough ?

thanks eric

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've got to be honest, while the Mesa head is loud for it's size I get the feeling it might be underpowered for what you're looking for...and your Ampeg is famous for being a quiet 350 watts, so it's hard to compare.

I think that Kustom might work for you as would a decent pre/power set up, as long as you can find the components. For a loud 2 guitar/keys/drummer type set up, I really think you should be looking in the 500-1k watts neighborhood. I would also consider having a 2 cab set up if'n yer going to be playing at the levels that your post suggests.

8. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    where would they have the kustom this amp realy interestes me. looks like it has a lot of usfull features and is easy to tweek. I mean get it for 500 bucks.

thanks eric

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Since when are walkabouts that cheap?!?!?!?

10. Quadzilla

Do a search for Kustom Groove here in the forum. One of the guys has a hook-up for $465 shipped. You can PM him once you find the thread.

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yeah, and since when were simple speakon cables that expensive? $20 tops in my neck of the woods . . . can make it yourself in 5 minutes for less than $10 in parts . . . .

12. Quadzilla

This is a BIG thick mo-fo. Much thicker than the Monster SP500 Neutrik that I bought for $50... This is at least as thick as the Monster SP1000, which typically go for more but are on sale at Musiciansfriend right now.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The main reason for this, is that Monster is WAY overhyped and overpriced.

14. Quadzilla

Totally agree. I bought the Monster Speakon before I got the head because I knew the head only came w one Speakon cable and I had two cabs to hook up. When the head arrived, I was shock to see that the cable that came free with the head was far better than the Monster cable that I had spent $50 on. Oh well, live and learn...