6 space Racks for CA-9 and pre...Ect...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

I'm putting together a amp set up,I have to buy a rack.I have a CA-9 that I want secure.

What racks are good? How do I go about rackin the rear of the amp?

2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Deleted Ebay link.
  3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Thanks sir, you did not answer one of my questions.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have two CA9's. I have not bothered to rack the rear ears in either, and they seem to work out fine. The racks that I am using right now are the Musician's Friend brand racks (that look sort of like Road Ready, or Anvil cases, in black). I had originally thought to use these for effects only (for my PA gear), but they are big enough for the CA9, so I gave them a try. Believe it or not, they are fairly decent racks. Certainly, they are great for the money. They are also not in the same league as a true Anvil rack, but they are a fraction of the price. I got two 6-space racks for $44.00 each (which I think was a typo, because they were asking more than that for the 4-space, and the 6-space is not more like $60), and while I have my doubts as to what kind of shape they will be in 10 years from now, I do feel like they will do an adequate job of protecting my gear (especially if I am careful and don't put too much stress on any one handle).

Here is a shot that shows one of these racks with the CA9 in it:

Of course, the Titan rack with the Aggies in it is much more beefy, but it also costs about eight times as much!

5. How much do you want to spend? What is your use? Are you going to travel or tour with this rig? Are you going to transport it yourself or put it in a truck or trailer? Will you have roadies moving your gear or will you move it yourself? Will you fly with it AT ALL? Do you want the best you can get or the most that you can afford? There are a LOT of case companies out there and they serve different markets and different needs....

You DON'T have to go to GC or Sam Ash or somewhere like that to get a case....typically you can buy direct from a case company and get a better case for less!!!! I really need more info to make an educated recommendation......

6. lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Check here for the case http://www.audiopile.net
    If you order rack ears from QSC you can modify them a bit to make them work.
  7. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Try CDM Manufacturing.. (716) 649-5925.. Dana's a good friend and builds all my racks and cases...
  8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I have my CA-9 in a 4-space lightweight Gator Rack. It's my first experience with Gator Rack's products. IMO they're very similar appearance-wise to SKB's lightweight racks.
    Because the CA-9 weighs around 50 lbs, I wanted to keep my rack as lightweight as possible. Along with my CA-9 I have a Purity preamp and a Furman PL-Plus power conditioner. I keep meaning to weigh it, but I'm guessing it weighs around 75 to 80 lbs total.

If I ever choose to buy a sturdier (heavier) built rack, I'll certainly buy a separate 2-space rack for my CA-9 and then maybe a 4-space rack for my power conditioner and preamp. This will give me room for a compressor and maybe a tuner.

I'd rather make an extra trip to the truck than a trip to the Chiropractor. ;)
    - Art