1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 sting or not?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DaDrew2112, Apr 11, 2011.

1. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    I've been trying out a six string for a bit here, and I kinda like it. But I'm playing more garage rock and whatnot (White Stripes, Hives that sort of stuff.) I cannot decide if I want to move up to six strings or if I want to take it back. The bass itself is the SR506 by Ibanez so yea....I just don't know if it's really necessary to have six strings for this music. I have started singing too as I play, so I think a plus of the 4 string is less fumbling through strings. Then again, on the six, I don't have to do as much moving around. Could really use some advice here guys; hopefully before I run out of time if I do take it back lol

2. The kind of music should only come into play if you require the extra range; other than that, it should be about whether you want to or think you're going to use the extra range. It also depends on how comfortable you feel on a six. Remember that the more time you spend on it, the more comfortable you'll be, so keep that in mind.

If you're "fumbling" through the strings, you probably just need a bit more time spent with the bass in practice, that's all.

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    If it feels comfortable and you like it, keep it and just get used to playing it. In time, it will feel just as normal.

Regarding the "necessity" aspect of it - while you may only use 3 strings while you're with your band, how many are you limited to when you are not?

Also, here are pictures of me singing while playing one of my 6-strings and my 8-string. It feels equally natural to play and sing on both with no string fumbling.
    Lp71Y.jpg

XPJSb.jpg

4. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    Holy Sh$t man. That thing on the bottom is a tree trunk lol. Yeah i guess this is one of those decisions, but idk. Then if i keep the six string everybody going to expect a ton of chords and whatnot + I'm going to have to be a slap master. o_O
    I suppose its incentive but if you try to slap that sort of music you get pure garbage. Chords could be nice though.....i have even more practicing to do than before...........oh god :p

5. amadeusex

amadeusex

Aug 16, 2008
    Athens Greece
    Keep it - play it and it 'll become second nature in time.

6. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    I love messing around with my sr506 when I'm by myself...chords, tapping, etc. Classical music is also pretty fun to play. I just like having the extra range. As much as I like 5ers (4 strings are fun to play as well) I just feel like it's missing a string (or two :p)

I use my 506 for just about everything whether is Pantera, Bach, Dream Theater, or RATM. It just feels right, although I would still like a nice 5er in the future though....: )

7. For what you're describing it may be a mismatch.

OPININION.. I always found 6 strings to be "too much or not enough" meaning the range isn't high enough to truely chord with... The high string commonly just sits there.

I find 7 strings to make a ton more sense... there is enough range that you can chord behind solos etc.

Tim

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021