6 string 2 extra highs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vibratito, Nov 15, 2002.

1. vibratito

Oct 10, 2002
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone has successfully converted a normal 6-string bass into having 2 extra high strings. Any information on the topic of converting it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    It wouldn't take much... a new nut and an adjustment, and probably 7 string stringset.

Why not just go for 7? Do you already have the 6?
  3. Rather than replacing your nut, you could try putting some folded up tin-foil underneath the string where it goes over the nut ( I had to do that for one of my strings when I started using a lower gauge ). Experiment with a different number of folds until you get the fit right. If you decide that you like the change, you can have a new nut made.

- Dave
  4. vibratito

Oct 10, 2002
    Well, I'm playing a 5 string now with one high instead of low.. i've looked at a few 7 strings, my hands are pretty small, so i think 6 is as far as i can go.. (with any comfort).

Thanks for you input..

5. I have small hands myself and I have no problems with my Hanewinckel 7-string:

The switch from my Warwick 6-string Corvette to my Hane 7-string was almost effortless. Check out http://www.hguitars.com/ for some specs on those.

- Dave
  6. Warwicks have huge @$$ baseball bat "C-shaped" necks. I can barely play the 5's string Warwicks. The 6's are out of the question.
  7. I think that Corvettes have thinner necks than the other models. I originally played an Ibanez Soundgear 6-string which has a really thin neck. When I tried the Corvette, it felt really good and I prefer thin necks. I bought it immediately.

Maybe someone can comment on the thickness of the Corvette neck compared to the other Warwicks.

In any event, the size one's hands isn't as important as technique. Have you ever seen Victor Wooten's hands? They're smaller than mine. Perhaps that's why he generally only plays four and five strings though. :D

- Dave