Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 string acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mark beem, Oct 22, 2003.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Are they available??? Anyone know a manufacturer that makes them?

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oh man, this is something that I've been interested in for a long time. The biggest problem would be if you wanted a low B string that projected or not. Jack Read said that he could make me an acoustic 6 string if I wanted it primarily to use electrified. www.readcustom.com.

3. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Someone on TB has one, I saw it in a post once.
    I will see if I can remember where I saw it.
    The only other one I have ever seen is in the Steve Bailey Instructional video.

4. Richard Lindsey (from NY) has a Shuker-Lamaq 6string ABG:
    [​IMG]

Very tasty.

Alternatively, I use a 5 string tuned E-A-D-G-C. Gives me the nice top end but without the B which doesn't really cut it unplugged anyway. I can recommend TI Acousticore 6 string sets though. BEEOOTIFUL.

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    AS mentioned before, I think a TB member got one a while back - all I remember is that he's from Georgia, FWIW.

Steve Bailey's ABG in his video was a Larrivee.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got an Athlete AX-6 ABG.

It's pretty cool. I still flip flop with selling it, but now that I've finally found some strings that I like on it (TI Jazz Rounds), I might keep it around for a while.

They are certainly few and far between, I agree.

The low B sounds okay unplugged, but sounds just fine when it's plugged in. I just used it at a jazz gig here that was recorded. I can't wait to get the cds back from that gig once they mix it down.

Athlete no longer exists, and I don't think there are any production 6 string ABGs. None that I know of, anyway.

Oh, Roland Guerin (New Orleans based jazz cat who plays with the Marsalis family) has one, too. And, he's much better on his than I am on mine.

7. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Can you post a pic?

8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Sure thing, 'Zilla. I don't have any on my webspace right now, but I found this one that I sent as an attachment to TB. :D

[​IMG]

And, here's the insane flamed maple on the back:

[​IMG]

9. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here's the bass next to two of my Curbows so you can see how big the body is.

[​IMG]

10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    SWEET!! Man, that thing's beautiful!!

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    BUMP!

For more info..'

Thanks.

12. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I don't know if this was directed to anyone in particular, but...

What'choo wanna know, d00d? :D

13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Are they available??? Anyone know a manufacturer that currently makes them?

Who..
    What..
    Where..
    When..
    How much..

14. Ducksual

Ducksual

May 19, 2003
    UK
    Does someone have GAS? ;)

15. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    ALWAYS!!

A CHRONIC case!!

:D

16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Somebody rang?:D

They sure don't seem to be that common, do they? Mine was made by Jon Shuker and Antonio Lamaq in England. Jon's site is www.shukerguitars.co.uk. However, he doesn't make the ABGs any more. He's now sticking to BGs, EUBs, and Rob Allen-like isntruments, and Antonio Lamaq (who also goes by Marc) is doing ABGs, as well as his own line of concert classicals. Marc has been moving around a bit, and I don't think he's got a website working yet. You could try e-mailing him at guitarbloke@lineone.net. Tell him I sent you. I don't know what his current prices are, but a rough guess would be that a 6-string ABG might be anywhere between $3,000 and $5,000. But that's only a guess.

Besides bassmonkeee's maker, whose name escapes me, the only other 6 string ABG maker I can think of is Harvey Leach (www.leachguitars.com). He makes both flattop and archtop ABGs. His site doesn't say much if anything about 6 string ABGs AFAICS, but I e-mailed him once a year or two ago and he said he could do it. His flattop ABGs start at $5,300 (for a 4), and his archtop ABGs start at $10,000. I think his waiting list is pretty long, too.

Oh wait, I thought of another one. I e-mailed a guy named Ross Teigen about this a couple years ago, and IIRC he thought he could do me one for about $3000. Haven't spoken to him since and dunno if he's even still doing this, since the website seems not to have been revised in a while. Anyway, the website is www.teigenguitars.com (look in the "Custom Examples" section).

17. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I appreciate the info Richard.

[size=huge]WAAAAAAY[/size] out of the price range I was looking at, but thanks!!

:)

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I was just about to post that Shakur was the only person that I was aware of who was making them, but, alas, Richard had to come and pee on your cake. Or, something.... :meh: :D

Mine is an Athlete, but they aren't around anymore, either.

19. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I know a guy from Montréal how's currently making one, it's Pierre Laporte... the same dude how's building my long overdue 7 string! The guy is very cool, he's work is great, but he's over booked. He primarily makes acoustic guitar which are as good if not better then the Larrivé guitars. I haven't ask about price, but I'd guess around 3500 to 4000 can$ should be a good ballpark figure.

PL

20. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Wow Richard ,

I saw this on Teigen's site:

[​IMG]

I bet a 6 stringer would look wild...