1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6-String Acoustic Fretless Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nofrets1, Dec 10, 2006.

1. I'm just starting my search for this instrument. I found a "Tennessee" brand on eBay. Don't know anything about that brand. Any one know who's making a 6 acoustic and who's selling them. Steve Bailey is playing one on the front page of his web site. I'm stumped but still searching. I thought I'd check in with the experts. Any help is appreciated! :help: :meh:

2. 6-string fully acoustic basses are very rare. Basically, because structurally they're difficult to make, with the way most acoustics are braced and the high tension of 6 bass strings.

I know Overwater makes one. And the one Steve Bailey has (I don't know who makes it). I kinda convinced Mike Kinal to make a 6-string version of his Kompact Bass, but the thing is that you would have to use TI acousticores with it, since a 6-string set of the Acousticores would have a little less tension than a standard 5-string set of steel core strings.

Without going custom though, I don't think I've seen any...

3. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    6 string acoustic bass...I want one! Anybody know what makes Steve Bailey's 6 string fretless acoustic?

4. alain caron was playin'a 6 string acoustic when he came here in Istanbul with frank gambale's trio... check his website... u'll find more of it...

5. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    I couldn't find it on the Caron site:(

6. That's all I could find:)

[​IMG]

7. Geez, I'd love a 6 string acoustic bass...

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    the japanese company Athlete makes 5 and 6 string ABG's... Bassmonkeee had one for a little while.

9. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    I was checking out the same ebay dealer a week ago. The 6-string fretted. I did a lot of searching too, and could find no other current brand with a 6-string ABG. I was thinking of tuning it without the use of a low B, and have EADGCF for chords and leads...but anyway, I can't really bring myself to buy an acoustic anything online, you know?
    Unless...it was an Earthwood. Check it out folks there are a couple of Earthwood basses for sale online, I think it was craig's list...
    Oh, and whatever you do, don't click on the link that shows the guy playing the 6-string fretless ABG on that ebay site. Not unless you're spinning drunk...in which case get ready to puke.

10. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    Custom is the way to go, I have heard that Chuck Rainey was working on a signature Washburn six string acoustic bass.

[​IMG]

www.chrislarkinguitars.com

11. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
  12. This is great info. Thanks to you all. And Bearfoot, I made the mistake of watching that video (about ten times). It's funnier every time I see it. Thanks again!

13. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    I actually emailed Steve about the bass on his webpage, as I was intrigued by it. The reply I got is here:

"that is a larrivee acoustic fretless 6 string.. just a few were made in the late 80's/... peace, steve"

14. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound Endorsing Artist: La Bella Strings
    I really want to get one acoustic 6 string too....:bassist: !! all info are welcome!

After some research, this is what I found.

ATHLETE AX-6

[​IMG]

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    German luthier Stoll makes 5- and 6-string versions of his Akustibass.

http://www.stollguitars.de/P_Bass.htm

Unfortunately, there's only a pic of the 4-string, but you can get the idea.

[​IMG]

16. Well, I've got an acoustic fretless 6 string, made by Jon Shuker and Antonio Lamaq in England. But Jon doesn't do these any more, and I don't even know where Antonio Lamaq is these days.

I think I've heard that Brian Goode might do one. www.bwbass.com

Anyway, here's mine (hard to resist the chance to show it off a little):

107_0784resized.

107_0785resized.

107_0786.

17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've talk to Sal a few times, great builder.... glad to see he has a website now. Roland Guerin had Sal build him a 6 string fretted ABG a while back.

18. RL6

RL6

Feb 8, 2006
  19. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Guitarron........

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    What a beauty! I'd love to get my hands on one of those! Sadly, I've never played a truely decent ABG imo! Listening to Jonas Hellborg has spoiled me!