Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 string Bartolini pickups.. help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fiebru1119, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I've been researching for days, on here and online so bear with me. I'm trying to decide which pickups to use on my custom 6 string. I'll have 19mm string spacing (95mm total) and a 20" board radius. As far as the website, the only ones that fit this description would be the Bartolini G6's or M5's. The G6s apparently only come in one particular coil configuration while the M5s come in dual or splittable quad coil. With the M5s, will I need some new switches added on? Do you guys think I could get enough versatiliy out of the G6's?

I play contemp chirstian, latin jazz/salsa/funk. I want big deep pronounced lows, strong mids to cut through, and singing highs. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I absolutely love the Bart quadcoils in my Brubaker 6. I'll check with Kevin and see what they are. I think I remember him saying they were a CX series which are voiced brighter than the standard quadcoils.

3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    That's just loud ;) It doesn't give any clue on what you want to dominate frequency wise.

You don't have to install any switches with the quad coils but you can if you want. You can pick one way and wire it up and still keep the option of resoldering it another way someday. Some kind of series parallel option switch will give you a ton of versatility.

I have a set of quad coils in a 6 and like them a lot. They don't have the strong character of a P or J or Wal or Stingray kind of bass but they EQ quite well and blend nicely with other instruments. A good choice for a single instrument that will sound good anywhere. Half hi-fi, half vintage, they won't exactly cop an old school tone or the clarity of an EMG but always juicy and nice. Excellent pickup.

However I prefer the dual coils in my 5 string (I don't remember a dual coil 6 string Bart) which I find more colored and I like that. I have them set up as either humbuckers, outer coils or inner coils. So much to choose from :D

4. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Haha.. I just re-read that and you're right LOL.. My main concern is having solid mids. I really dont want the upper strings to wound thin and weak. The high's I can compromise on but the lows have to be there too (mainly for church type stuff). Brad Johnson, I'll have to look into what you mentioned about the CX. Have you ever heard of anyone using the CX for the bridge and C for the neck?

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    My only recommendation with the quad coils is to get some sort of preamp in the bass. You don't need to have tone shaping, but I highly recommend an onboard preamp to boost the signal a bit.

6. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    OH!! I guess I didnt mention the bass is getting a Bart A/P NTMB 4.7 sorry!

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    No, I haven't.

Kevin said I have a pair of XX P 4 CX in my six. They sound great IMO. While they do sound very good passive, my bass has an NTMB preamp and I have the trim pot set about 50%. Gives it a nice reasonably hot signal. My bass is wired like most Brubaker quadcoil installs with a 3 way coil select toggle: quad/quad, quad/split, split/split. On the split I don't know which coils (inner or outer) are selected. Whichever it is, it's working:D

My understanding of the quadcoils is that they can also be split in a P or reverse P configuration. Very flexible pickups. I typically use either both quad or both split positions, very obvious difference between the two.

He also wires the NTMB with two mid centers and switches with a push/pull pot. This is a very versatile package and is very easy to dial in time after time IMO IME. I can go to the exact sound I want quickly and easily.

I run my volume control wide open just about all the time.

8. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    On a quad coil the split will either be P or reverse P, not 2 inner or outer coils. With the pickup on and plugged into an amp, tap it under the strings with a small screwdriver where you'd expect the coils to be and it will be pretty clear which ones are on. In a P setting you can tap down the length and hear where it jumps sides. Tap the case and not exposed pole pieces.

One hip option is to consider a 4 coil as 2 P pickups, one normal - one reverse, and then wire those 2 P's like the 4th or 5th choice in this pic so with a mini switch you get a humcancelling single, a series humbucker and a parallel humbucker. You even get the choice of series/parallel on the "P pickups" part if you want a brighter more focused pickup. 2 tiny switches and an annoying amount of options :)

http://bartolini.net/1_wirngs/4cnd_sw1.gif

9. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

If you look at the full page, not just the one gif ( http://www.bartolini.net/1_wirngs/4cnd_sw1.htm ), you'll see that at the top of the second page there's a way to wire it up inner/dual/outer...Now if I can just figure out what pickups he uses on his 4's...

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

Mine is wired exactly as I stated. In fact the split position is outer coils. No P configuration on my bass.

And exposed polepieces on Bartolini quadcoils? I haven't seen that yet.

11. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Well the standard bart setup is P and reverse P, maybe yours are custom. Did you actually check where the active coils are? What are you basing this fact on?

And the don't touch the exposed poles is for people trying the tapping technique who may have exposed poles.

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    These aren't custom Barts, Kevin didn't order custom Barts. As far as checking them out, as a matter of fact Kevin just did that last week at his shop as he showed a new customer I brought by how the quadcoils work. He tapped on the coils. Also, the difference in output between all four coils on and the outer(s) selected was pretty obvious. That's what I'm basing it on. Why do you think stock quadcoils CAN'T be wired this way? What are you basing that fact on? I'm basing it on basses I've been using for a couple of years now.

Maybe YOURS were custom.

;)

Short answer: that's what Kevin told me. They seem to work that way too.

He did have the OPTION of wiring them as P configurations.

We were talking about Barts... weren't we?

:D

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The coils in Bart Quads can be wired in any way you want.

The thing is, I think most of the time they are set up so that there are only four wires coming out of the wire bundle at the end - and the default seems to be this allows you to switch between P and reverse P.

However, all 8 of the wires come out of the pickup, so it is possible (you might have to cut-away at the shrink tubing on the wire bundle) to set it up however you want. I have Bart Quads in two basses, and one is set up P/revP and three others are set up left/right pairs.

edit: um, yeah - there are no Bart Quads with exposed pole pieces, at least that I've ever seen. :confused:

14. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I have some of the quadcoils for the bass I'm building. I didn't know there were so many wiring options when I bought them!

So can you hear any difference between the P, reverse P, inner or outer single coin configurations? I'm just talking about one pickup at a time. If the inner coils and outer coils sound different, is it because of the position under the string or are the coils actually wound differently?

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I think the difference when it is just one pickup is slight. However, when you are using both, it's more noticeable. On my fretted one setup (P plus "inside" on bridge) sounds like a P+J bass, the other (reverse P pluse "outside" on bridge) much more like a J+J bass.

16. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I'm basing it on my conversations with Pat & Bill, the wiring diagrams the pickups came with and the handful of basses I've built myself using them. But I'll defer to your expertise. ;)

Sorry, I included the part about pole pieces for anyone else reading it who may want to apply this to their basses without considering the confusion it might cause. You can ignore that part.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Since we're talking about MY BASSES...

are you really this _____? Did Pat and Bill tell you that their quadcoils could NOT be wired just as I've stated my PERSONAL basses are? Maybe they didn't tell you for some strange reason.

Yeah, that's probably it.

I'll just ignore the whole damn thing. I already knew the pickups "could" be wired P, reverse P, full and split. You OTOH don't know that and seem bent on laying that ignorance on basses you've never seen. I own several basses wired exactly as I've said. If you want to consider that custom, knock yourself out... they are after all custom basses :rolleyes:

Edit:

Just on the outside chance that I've been imagining the configuration of my basses I just tapped on the shells AGAIN as I went through through the switch positions... and I didn't touch the polepieces;).

Sorry... they haven't changed.

Are we done?

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    According to Moo there is no inner or outer coil option. Sorry.

19. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    No, you're talking about your basses and how right you are, I'm trying to help somone with my decades of experience and personal relationship with Bartolini. They come wired stock for P options as another user has confirmed and even though you know my conversations with Bill and Pat more than I do they have told me it only works that way, if that is still causing you problems you might want to take that up with them. And drop the yelling, it looks childish and implies you're more interested in arguing than helping the original poster.

This thread isn't about you as you claim but the pickups someone else wants to buy that come wired the way I'm talking about. If he still wants to discuss that I'm open to it but if you just want to have another one of your famous hissy fits you can count me out. I'll just concede right now you are perfect and we can get back to the guys pickups, with your permission of course.

20. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    :rolleyes:

Get over it and play your bass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.